Read 28 comments as:
Filter By
5 is definitely not the average CGPA. The average CGPA is probably around 4-4.5.
He meant to write that the difference between any two successive grades is 5 marks. Which is fairly standard.
There are probably around 4-5 people with GPAs above 6 in the batch of '26. This trimester particularly, was extremely liberally marked.
8/7 plus Rhodes scholar selected, Must have offer of partnership in a firm, 2 winner of Jessup and have enrolled as AOR
Ssshh... don't blaspheme by asking such questions. He's a legend and akin to divinity.
A 29-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
Again it varies. I'm a current 2nd Year and I don't think there is a single person with a 6+ CGPA in our batch. The 5.5+ range will probably place someone in the top 10 of the batch!

However, even for your batch, I don't think the average is 5. It should be 4.5 max!
In my time (mid-2010s), anything above 5.5/7 was good enough to be competitive for most jobs. Anything above 6.0/7.0 means you're competitive for any career - including academia.
If you’re only interested in placements, the brand value of NLSIU alone will take even the last ranking student to a decent job: not CAM or McKinsey, but a good tier 2 or FMCG.
5+ CGPA will place you in the top 10-15% of the batch. The average probably lies somewhere between 3.5-4 CGPA
10/10 or 7/7. Nothing else matters. Always aim for perfection, that's Sudhir's motto.