Read 28 comments as:
Filter By
10/10 or 7/7. Nothing else matters. Always aim for perfection, that's Sudhir's motto.
5+ CGPA will place you in the top 10-15% of the batch. The average probably lies somewhere between 3.5-4 CGPA
If you’re only interested in placements, the brand value of NLSIU alone will take even the last ranking student to a decent job: not CAM or McKinsey, but a good tier 2 or FMCG.
This is as bad and inaccurate an advice as it gets. There have been plenty of NLS grads searching for jobs in vain over the last few years. The institution's brand name can at most get you an interview, assuming you are not competing for shortlisting with people with better CVs. It is your own ability or contacts that will have to suffice from there. NLS has also lost its exclusivity now with ballooning batch strength during the last 3 years.
How on earth is this contested? It’s an obvious fact known to anyone in the legal field now. This moderator thinks he can put a positive spin on all the self destructive decisions for NLS by Messiah. Reality check: Not going to happen, mod. People studying at NLS today will know/find out soon.
Generally speaking, this is untrue. As a current III year in NLSIU, I think the average GPA is around 5. Getting 5.5+ will place you in the top 10%. Getting to 6 places you in the top 3.

In any case, just focus on being consistent with your work, don't chase numbers too much right now (I'm assuming that the person asking this question is a first year.)

PS: Ask these questions directly from seniors, they are much better placed to help with NLS-specific questions like these than a Legally India thread.

Good Luck!
In my time (mid-2010s), anything above 5.5/7 was good enough to be competitive for most jobs. Anything above 6.0/7.0 means you're competitive for any career - including academia.
Again it varies. I'm a current 2nd Year and I don't think there is a single person with a 6+ CGPA in our batch. The 5.5+ range will probably place someone in the top 10 of the batch!

However, even for your batch, I don't think the average is 5. It should be 4.5 max!
There are probably around 4-5 people with GPAs above 6 in the batch of '26. This trimester particularly, was extremely liberally marked.
5 is definitely not the average CGPA. The average CGPA is probably around 4-4.5.
Keep it above 4 no matter what. Marks are extremely arbitrary; inter-class disparity because of professors who mark liberally versus strictly (see property law for batch of '27) makes things even worse. Some classes get fuckall professors who mark really well, while others get strict profs- it's all luck. "Moderation" isn't real and everyone gets almost the same grade- the difference between all grades is literally five marks.
He meant to write that the difference between any two successive grades is 5 marks. Which is fairly standard.
8/7 plus Rhodes scholar selected, Must have offer of partnership in a firm, 2 winner of Jessup and have enrolled as AOR
A 29-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.