Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Greetings to all budding legal minds out there!

While many of you might be chasing the dream of hefty paychecks and prestigious positions, it's crucial to pause and consider the future of our profession in the age of Artificial Intelligence (AI). The legal landscape is rapidly evolving, and AI is poised to play a significant role in reshaping how we practice law.

I recently came across an enlightening article on TIME titled "What the Luddites Can Teach Us About Artificial Intelligence". The piece delves into the history of the Luddites, often misunderstood as technophobes, and draws parallels with today's workers grappling with the rise of AI and automation in various industries, including law. https://time.com/6317437/luddites-ai-blood-in-the-machine-merchant/

The Luddites weren't against technology; they were against the misuse of technology that threatened their livelihoods. Similarly, as future lawyers, we must be proactive in understanding how AI might impact our roles and ensure that technology is used to enhance, not replace, our expertise. And most importantly, rally together before the law firms change the narrative about our roles in the legal profession.

Here's a brief summary of the article:

The Luddites, often mischaracterized as anti-technology, were actually against the misuse of machinery that threatened their jobs during the dawn of the industrial revolution. Brian Merchant, in his book "Blood in the Machine," emphasizes the relevance of the Luddites' stance in today's context, where AI and automation are transforming workplaces. Merchant argues that just as the Luddites weren't against machinery but its misuse, today's workers should be wary of how technology might be used to degrade their livelihoods and reduce wages. The key takeaway is that technology's impact on jobs is a result of political choices by its owners, not an inevitable outcome.

To all young lawyers and law students: Let's be informed, adaptive, and proactive. Embrace technology, but also advocate for its ethical and beneficial use in our profession.

Rally together sisters and brothers for the time is now! While you are thinking about your future as a lawyer as you witness today, the managing partners of all law firms are investing in AI to make you redundant! Rally together and Rise up! The time is now! Things will need to change if you want things to stay the same!

---
Is this partly written by ChatGPT? Just asking out of interest, not out of accusation :)
CALM DOWN PPL. OP is a hypeman

Tools like https://app.jurisphere.ai/ are useful but I think we're far from AI taking away all law firm jobs!!!!
OP has definitely used ChatGPT or any other LLM to generate this post! This is exactly the kind of content LLMs would generate in first attempt - a lot of fluff without substantiating anything. Because seriously, this thread, its title, and OP's comment provide zero insight into how AI is being used in the legal field, or by law firms, or anything remotely close to how AI is impacting the Indian legal industry.

@LegallyIndia do you have any mechanism to detect if AI generated content is being posted just to spam/boost engagement on a thread? Would be useful if AI generated content is flagged as AI generated.
GPT Lawyers and GPT judges are precisely how regular people are going to get any semblance of justice. No matter how powerful the horse-cart lobby became, it wasn't going to stop the automobile.

I'm glad that AI can upend the entrenched / regressive power structures of one of the most corrupt legal systems in the world. Let's actually do what is right for the country this one time. It will only create greater opportunity for young tech-savvy lawyers.
I'm so sorry but LMFAO is all I can say. GPT judges??? GPT is stupid. GPT is not going to advance like you think it is. GPT was the next big thing in 1980. Geoffrey Hinton the man who essentially created the module which led to ChatGPT said AI is a few years away in the 80s. The hype around AI is just to steal investor money, AI right now has no brain, It searches up something on google and gives u the first link without showing u the link. I mean half the google powered AI search is just the first link summarised.AI can never have the reasoning capabilities humans do, If you believe that it can, Meet me in a decade when you have fallen prey to what we call a bubble in the investment world.
Why do you say that GPT was around since 1980s?

IIRC, the 'T' in GPT and by that I mean the specific type of T used in GPTs (you can read up for yourself what the T is) was introduced for the very first time in 2017. It was only after this invention, that GPT, as a concept and as a working model, was introduced for the first time by OpenAI in 2018. Infact all the people behind the 2017 invention are founders of leading AI unicorn startups today.

If GPT even as a concept would have been introduced around 1980s then the entire software industry would have been different today. Infact Intel would have focused more GPUs instead of CPUs as the scaling up of GPTs requires more and more GPUs.
I failed a presentation last semester because I used Chat GPT in the final moment, and it made up case laws which did not exist. I think we are good for a while
A similar argument was put forward that Microsoft word would take over the job of all lawyers and writers in the 2000's, but did it do the same ? technology perhaps has always been a medium of making life easier and in no way can it ever replace humans except in menial tasks like keyboard smashing all day. In that case I assume, it would be better that AI replaces people.
also the argument that arises everywhere nowadays that AI is gonna take over the world is mostly baseless bull crap and are mere marketing tactics and investment strategies. I would assume in our lifetimes in no way would AI be able to aptly replace any job and on the flip side would always be a medium to only make work easier
there is a reason why lawyers and the judiciary have been around for the pass 1000 years
bhai yeh article tu poor akhud toh likh leta. ai detector sabh btadiya