Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Law seems to involve exciting clients but unexciting work. Whereas an MBA grad launches a new product, or a tech grad invents a new software, or a film producer plans a new Netflix show, lawyers seem to do the boring work: prepare long contracts, prepare mechanical due diligence reports, search case laws on taxes, file copyright applications etc.

Agree? Or is this only applicable to law firms? Do litigators do more interesting stuff?
If youre not boring and creatively moribund youll be fine.

Plenty of law firm folks manage to find the excitement in crafting new kinds of deals and stuff, I personally love my job and think its only boring if you dont actually like the law.But also -its fine if law is boring. Someone needs to do the boring things that keep the world running. The world doesnt owe it to us to have us all be pop stars and influencers. Its just life. Most MBAs are doing boring stuff- really speak to them and its mind numbingly boring hearing them describe their work, as are 99% of tech folks. You have to work hard to be in the 1% of people who do interesting work in those fields also.

If law is not for you- just leave man, you can still do an MBA and get out. The constant posts that are so negative about the profession on this website really does create a feedback loop where younger folks also dont even give law a chance and just start off by complaining. Just leave. Its easy if you try to do something else in your life. Theres really no reason at all to convince others they also need to hate the law because you hate it. you dont need their validation and we dont need this crab mentality.
"MBA grad launches a new product"

bro read a book. MBA guys are just helpless and glorified clerks as you are going to be if you graduate, but only with numbers as well, which is quite boring when technology is doing a lot anyway.

"tech grad invents software"

bhai sab mark zucky nahi ban rahe, most are just copy pasting texts from one page to another.
Not all people copy text in tech for kew software or new project new type of logic that coding os require coding is all about logics. Hope you know. Truth is law as a profession is quite boring except the arguing and court craft because that is quite dynamic
Which coding are u learning? Ask any coder, tech does a lot of it. It's fkin boring
Law is boring/ interesting basis your prior interest in the field + your senior attitude towards work (because they shape how you view the practice area) + your understanding of how your work fits into the bigger picture.

A student who is already interested in startups/ PE VC space and has been reading up on call/ put options, anti dilution clause before joining a law firm, will find working on SHA much more interesting than someone who has no prior interest and is mindlessly working on revising comments.

But often times, we are pushed into practice areas we have no idea about.

Don’t just focus on the law or the amendment or the clause you are drafting, try to do some research on the company you are representing, look at what industry it works in, look at what it competitors are doing and then try to figure out why they are entering the deal they are entering on which you are working.

I was once working on some NOC documents - the standard stuff - ask consent from XYZ parties in NOC letter, compile supporting documents, send multiple revised versions of the NOC to various parties. Nothing interesting in this. This is the work we do day in day out. Draft docs, revise clauses, take calls etc.

The only difference this time? I looked up who the client was and went to their website. Turns out they make Marvel movies. Damn. I just started doing through their website and looking at all the different movies and shows they had worked on.

And suddenly I found why my job was important - at the micro level, I was just drafting an NOC. But in the bigger picture, that NOC would allow them to acquire some company, bolster their team and make the next big Marvel movie.

I may have been doing 90% boring work on other deals, but I always looked forward to working on this deal.
dude that violates confidentiality clauses, you didn't have to reference the making part
Most of the popular products or services launched are from 'entrepreneurs', i.e., people who dropped out of college, had generational wealth or piggy backed on someone else's innovation/idea. MBA, tech or even law individuals are glorified clerks, and will continue to do so. As long as you're not the employer, you'll forever be the employee. Get off your daydreaming high horse, and give me the file by tomorrow, screw your weekends and free evenings.