Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
I do. I know that my fancy NLU degree didn't give me any practical knowledge, because my professors had no such knowledge. And my theoretical knowledge isn't great either, as I hardly studied in college. I know that I got my coveted job only because:

a) My college is considered a tier 1 NLU

b) I had an artificially inflated GPA (as I took certain useless courses by certain useless professors)

c) I had good internships because of b)

d) I speak and write English well (the advantages of have studied at a good ICSE school and having parents who were educated at similarly good schools, who ensured that I grew up reading the right books)

e) I had extra curricular activities on my CVf) I fit the conventional societal stereotype of a handsome guy (fair skinned, slim, tall, sharp features: though I am sober enough to know that looks don't last forever and I have become a bit chubby recently).

I think my experience is true for many other NLU grads. But although we are imposters we all learn on the job. Our seniors too learnt that way. After all, law firm work is not rocket science and if you cracked CLAT you should have a reasonably good IQ.

But more that Imposter Syndrome I have "Law Firm Life Sucks Syndrome". I don't see myself lasting here. I might do a master's (not necessarily an LLM) and do some other job.
Imposter Syndrome is real. The good things is you work extra to compensate, which should put you ahead. the bad thing is, you never acknowledge how good you are, because you never really believe it, so you get played. It's good that you know you have Imposter Syndrome. Be careful who you talk to about your insecurities, given our toxic world.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2021/06/cover-impostor-phenomenon

The above is, of course, generic, and not geared towards lawyers.
I empathize with your situation. Coupled with social anxiety, It has taken a toll on me too. I am an a0 and I have felt that no one acknowledges my existence or doesn't even want to give me work because I'm incompetent/or a bumbling fool.
Hi friend - you never get over the imposter syndrome. Even senior partners go through this. You just need to learn to deal with it. Acknowledgement of the issue is a major step. But don't let it hold you back from doing things you want to. You'll realise you're already doing better. Even if not always.