Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
Because studying abroad in any college is much better than studying in an Indian college. It also increases your chances of settling abroad, which is preferable to settling in India (corruption, nepotism, reservation, pollution, unsafe for women etc).
In the era before Messiah took over, this may have been barely noteworthy since there was an exclusivity to studying at NLS (atleast within India), but now, this is hardly worth a post. With some 300 students a batch, domicile quota, and a small crowded campus that couldn't even get land to expand from the Karnataka government, these kids made a smart choice going abroad.

NLS is losing its sheen. The fact that CLAT kids prefer NALSAR which has barely had any great achievements in the past decade beyond the usual placements and has seen its own alumni leave as faculty, over NLS, shows you how much damage Messiah has caused despite the rankings game keeping NLS as number 1 based on history.
Bro who is choosing Nalsar over NLS? Other than the usual 1 or 2 people, everyone who had a choice, chose NLS.
The numbers will increase in the coming years as more kids find out about the disadvantages of a such a huge batch size. Letโ€™s be clear, the top few NLUs excelled because of their smaller batches and greater opportunities for students individually. That wonโ€™t happen with the larger batch size.
Maybe not NALSAR, but thereโ€™s NLUD as well, if that kid cracks AILET. NLS simply is not โ€œthe bestโ€ anymore if you take away its legacy achievements. The kids are still smart but in a pool of 300 others, itโ€™s easy to lose good opportunities.
Hardly anyone chose NLUD over NLS as well. Personally, I would place Nalsar over NLUD. NLUD has nothing to show except the NIRF rankings!
It's stupid to turn down NLSIU for any other colleges other than Ivy Leagues/Oxbridge. Even if one gets a full scholarship at a tier 2 college like Imperial or KCL or UCL or Warwick, or Cornell or Georgetown or Michigan, I think NLSIU is still a better choice. The name and prestige is enough to get you the most coveted jobs. Look at where alumni are: World Bank, partnerships at Magic Circle firms, TIME 100, Infosys Prize, ASG, etc.

I think it's. just a colonial hangover why people would prefer to go abroad.
Thereโ€™re are atleast 3-4 people every year who choose NLUD over NLS. But thatโ€™s not the point, itโ€™s not merely about NIRF and your personal opinion about NLUD doesnโ€™t change facts that itโ€™s still a tier-1 NLU that can challenge NLS. Same goes with NALSAR but honestly, I think NALSAR is overrated. Their location sucks and they havenโ€™t accomplished anything significant in the past 10 years. Barely any major international moot wins, not as many scholarships either. Youโ€™re fanboy opinions wonโ€™t make any difference on that front.
Right. Because you have examples of folks who got into brown and ivy league schools and turned it down do stay in nagarbhavi ? Please name them.

The idea that the value that nls produces is owed solely to its exclusivity is just more casteist nonsense. How many kids opted to go to nalsar over NLS? Why are faculty leaving from nalsar and joining nls if nalsar is so much better? are they insane?
I know of at least four people, going back to the 2000s, who ditched NLSIU for colleges abroad. Two for the US (non-law), one for Imperial (non-law), one for NUS (not sure which course) and one for KCL or UCL (not sure which course) . If you have the money/scholarship and you want to settle abroad, then why not? Also, NLSIU has the bridge course system, so you can study for your LLB abroad and return to India, if the NLSIU tag means that much to you (the tag counts for very little abroad though).
The bridge course system is a joke and that doesnโ€™t give you the university tag. It only makes you eligible to practice law in India with a foreign degree.
A 3-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.