Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
I do not want to join in the disputes team. Please share genuine advice. I have been applying to all relevant opportunities but I think the litigation experience is not amounting to much right now.
Not possible, even disputes lawyers in law firms can't switch to core corporate - Transcations, banking finance etc. If u want to switch to corp-m&a, better start now in some small firm an company and later on you can make a switch easily.
Hey, this is possible, I did this. Until 4th year, I was looking for disputes teams only. I had T1 internships but mostly only in disputes. In one T1 that I interned at, they did not assign me to the disputes team and gave me a corporate team so that helped. In another T1, there wasn't strict separation of interns across teams so I got work from both. In my recruitment interview, I highlighted the corporate work I had done, and talked it up. Your litigation experience definitely doesn't amount to nothing, and it's possible that you experienced a variety of fields. Focus on the fields you'd like to work in while applying for internships/jobs, and make links - i worked in xyz, and it is linked to corporate work in this way - I found this overlap interesting and wrote an article, etc. It's about weaving a story in a way that makes sense and sounds like you've discovered your interests, rather than a story that sounds like you were desperately interning wherever without a clue
Agreed, but I guess I can tweak my C.V. a bit, I have some internship experience in a corporate law firm.
wow, this gave me the perspective I needed. Thanks. Will make changes in the C.V. now