Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
What kind of work does the Indirect Tax teams in law firms do? Does the practice mostly comprise of tax litigation ?
Corruption intermediary.

There's nothing to research in tax laws.

Either you pay taxes to government or pay to officers.
Nothing to research in a tax law - that's a big statement. I'm an indirect tax practitioner and life would be so good if that's what turns out to be case. For indirect taxes, while we do have a lot of jurisprudence to borrow from historical indirect taxes, a lot of issues are still open in GST. We are still fighting disputes for transitional credit so you can understand the scene. Don't worry, the field is going to be good for next ten years at the very least.
That's not called real law. Majority of work taxation lawyers do, is because of arrogance of department and one sided interpretation of law as well as greed of officers.
Don't agree to this. There's fair amount of intellectual work. And would definitely want to understand from you what you call as 'real law' because for me any interpretation work is real law. Sometimes the weirdest statements from officer also test your fundamentals and you need to really think before replying. Unless you're focused on liason work for refund processing etc, there's fair amount of interpretation work.
Intellectual level to determine tax rate on Roti vs Paratha?

Or whether charger is an integral part of the phone or not?

There are better ways to waste time.
And that intellect helps in reducing the tax burden (i.e., cash outflow) for businesses. Just as any real estate / corporate lawyer would figure how to pay the minimum amount of stamp duty on a transaction. Issues like tax rates for roti vs paratha arise mostly because governments use foolish/dumb arguments to merely increase their tax base (i.e., more revenue for governments) just because they want to and not because they have strong reasons to justify the tax rates. Now if you would just sit back and never challenge dumb taxes, your intellect level isn't as high as you think it is.
Yes. Better ways to waste time like keep on trolling. By any chance, have you fought these litigations or even read these judgments or you are just a garden variety troll who hates indirect taxes, because you never did anything brooms return filing and kissing backsides of officers for getting registrations and refunds?
Advisory largely and also supporting the M&A. They do litigations but comparatively less and largely brief counsels. There's also a piece of advocacy.