Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
I mean I get it , post 2010s the field is getting attention it deserves more and more.

More because of Clat now which is a big deal.

But still the profession itself hasn’t been able to penetrate the masses and in US law is a big deal. The very important presidents are lawyers. What happened?
Tier 2 and 3 cities me 1 lakh rupye me degree milti hai.

Any tom dick and harry can do it.
this is true. JD admissions in the US are extremely tough. During my time at a t6 some of the JD students were literally PhDs. Also, they don't do law straight out of school but I don't know if that makes any difference as such. India has a lot of law schools and no offence but like someone else said, you can literally buy law degrees in India. Another thing - clearing the bar exam there is a big deal because it is tough. AIBE is the biggest joke ever.
True. Law schools are as rigorous as med schools in US. Here, nepo kids don't go to college. National Contacts University is way way bigger than National Law University.
Then why are all the litigating lawyers are from DU abd GLC?

NLU's are meant for producing corporate slaves. Due dilligence and Doc review for life.
People are not that much aware of corporate law firms. Lmao someone in my friend circle thought Amarchand is an oil brand. They have heard about corporate law and since that’s emerging , it’s cool to them. But they are still hung over 3.5 CR package form IITs. Can’t blame them ofc. People hardly know nlsiu or nalsar (although they have been providing exceptional packages considering the date of establishment). People also produce organismic reactions when you tell them about clat but don’t know anything about magic circle law firms. That’s the reality.

β€˜NLU private organisation hein kya’ - smhhh so sad. Some very classy people and majority of upper middle class ppl still know a bit. The grassroot is detached.

β€œIsse Accha mein Nashik seh llb karke kamaunga , law firms keh liya suit kaun purchase karega”.
Also, Indian lawyers are pathological pessimists. In US, they're pragmatic. Lawyers don't command any respect here and they shouldn't.
Also, here in India, lawyers live always 20-25 years outdated technology wise. Aged lawyers do boast about they can open MS Office. In US, lawyers are flowing with the stream.
In India, professionals hide their LLB degree on LinkedIn profile. I also never disclosed that I'm a law graduate. STEM professionals look down upon legal professionals.
Law is one of the most respected professions in India. Maybe not Corporate Law. But litigation definitely. Go to the towns and villages and the local Vakil is always held in very high regard. Even in the major cities, older people will call you Sir/Ma'am just cause you're a lawyer. Live outside the LawFirm box.
This is true. Back when I was a litigator, the security guards at the building would insist on opening/closing the car doors for me and helping to carry the voluminous briefs (I was 24yo)
They don't respect, they just get fearful of police and lawyers and government servants. Come here in Cities, we teach them what the hell world is!

Villagers call saheb even to Patwaris. Can you believe that?!?
Villagers don't know anything. You go there suited, and they will bow down to you.
Because in the US to become a practicing lawyer, you need to clear a tough as hell bar exam plus an ethics exam. Here law is basically a last resort.
You should try ny and California bar then tell me. Yha clat toh clear nhi hota US ka bar exam clear karenge
bro she is a freakin billionaire in a family of billionaires and multi millionaires. woh Chandrayaan bhi launch ksarsakti hai.
She passed something else, was not the actual bar exam. the NY bar has the main exam spread across two different days, full days. Then you give the MPRE (ethics exam). THEN you do the NY Law exam, and after clearing all that you apply for admission to the bar. Its a long, drawn out process and each state has its own bar exam. Its even tougher for LLMs because we've to cram the entire portion of US fundamental laws (civil, criminal etc) in only two months. Mazaak ki baat nahi hai, even JDs fail forget LLMs.
No, she actually just gave a different exam, will post the link cause I don't remember off the top of my head. https://www.jlegal.org/blog/did-kim-kardashian-pass-the-bar-exam/
In india they are called Dalals various unqualified or farzi lawyer who dont even have law degree are seen practicing in various t3 t2 cities small district court
Law degree is a very state jurisdiction specific. A law degree obtained in Punjab has very little or no relevance in Tamil Nadu and vice versa.