Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
I am currently a T-1 law school student who has interned quite extensively. everywhere that I go, my fellow interns just rave about getting a job at a T-1 law firm. It's getting to the point where I feel that we are aiming for very little despite working really hard in law school for 5 straight years.

In the grand scheme of things, Indian t-1 firms are not even in the top 100 law firms of the world and practically nobody outside of law knows about these organisations. I am not trying to be disrespectful, I am aware of the kind of work it takes to build such firms but why are students not aiming for the likes of Kirkland, Weil, Skadden, Linklaters etc? I am aware that in the longer term India is better when it comes to pay but it's another ballgame when you say that you are a corporate lawyer in London. Do people not understand the prestige it carries? Am I thinking too much or is everybody else crazy? I mean, let's face it, nobody would pick a Tier 1 indian firm over Kirkland or Clifford chance if given the choice.
Dude gets ur facts right

Firstly Kirkland, Weil, skadden, cravath and the likes are US BIGLAW firms which do not hire juniors out of Law school. Only linklaters, hsf, cc and a0 have been. These firms are tier 2 in respect of pay in London. Mostly in 110 to 125 range compared to the 150 to 175 range of the former.

Second, after the new system of qualifying two exams before beggining the tc, u have to wait too many years to begin ur career and also spend ur own money.

It's much easier and safer to work in t1s in india and then lateral in 4 5 years to Kirkland or the likes
Nujs people got into freshies bakers and cc recently . These firms dont have any specific india program. And if you’re saying that the MC firms arw below the US firms, then you don’t understand the legal business
people train at the MC even when they have offers from US firms. this is something you may not know. the MC put the training in the training contract. nobody is telling you to be wedded to a firm all your life but if you want a promising 30 year stint, then making sure you get a great foundational outlook is the ultimate privilege of training at an MC firm
MC firms are way way below US biglaw. not US firms.

NY BIglaw, Other cities Biglaw, then White shoe, then MC. Check the revenues and PEPs. MC firms are equivalent to Indian t2 firms due to work life balance, low pay, good work culture. US Biglaw is the same as AZB or C/SAM, very toxic and toooo long hours, but million dollar pay checks in 7 years PQE.

CC is not US biglaw, it caters to UK mostly. The guy you are referring to who did a VS at Bakers and now works there, had incredibly great connections in the firm, which is why he was allowed into the Open day in his 1st/ 2nd year which is an event exclusive to UK Law schools (prestigious ones).

Also I work at one of K, S and W, and been in NYC for several years after working at Links for some. So I know.
if you want to become partner at kirkland, train at linklaters. that's it. i'll leave it at this. if you know you know.
The Magic Circle is increasingly a quaint solicitor shop in the UK. The real high value global corporate work has been eaten by American BigLaw, partly from the US, and the rest through their global offices (such as London).

In that sense, Indian Tier-1 is more akin to US BigLaw, larger (relative) mandates, bigger paydays, more toxic, more burnout.
Not everyone wants to immigrate to the west. Think about the expensive healthcare, high cost of living (as you said- longer term India is better), no maids/chauffeurs, making food once a week and eating it for 7 days (why else does one earn and you can't even enjoy that?), (avoidable) struggle in the first few years, no family/parents. Lastly, everything is soooo expensive abroad.

Clean air and infra (India is catching up on infra) is not, in my humble opinion worth sacrificing the above.
you need to consistently be in the top 5% of your class and on top of that be quite remarkable academically and with internships/publications- few students today manage to meet criteria as it is. More of them are work shy.
A 48-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.