Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I started my career as an in-house counsel, and worked with a few great companies! At this juncture, I just feel stuck as there are hardly any in-house roles open for a mid-senior level experience and the law firms are not okay with giving a chance to someone with a majority in-house experience. I never felt so scared of not growing in my career! Has anyone gone through the same? Can you suggest a way out? I keep regretting my decision of not starting my career with a law firm and sticking through.
You made a good decision by choosing to work as an in-house counsel over being at the mercy of law firms where the work-life balance is in shambles. Since I don't know your exact work experience in "number of years," let me take a guess (approx 12-15 years), Maybe you can try to do an MBA from an IIM or a decent institute, and that degree coupled with your extensive experience in various companies as an in-house counsel will get you the perfect job. Many companies do hire Chief Legal Officers/GCs (that MBA degree might help). So that's my take. I hope this helps...
Let me add something: The MBA period will provide breathing space and clarity concerning your future job prospects if you choose to pursue it. I think the money factor is not a concern for you (assuming) (for applying to an IIM post-CAT). You can also go for a one-year executive MBA program instead of the two-year one.
Lots of In House vacancies are there for Senior In House Laywers. Actually, they ask us in law firms to recommend names. Companies of all sizes prefer hiring experienced folks. I think you are looking at wrong places.
A suggestion- why don't you move in a business role? Start with low profile and move up.