Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I have few questions that I want to ask here. Some background infor about me - I am 20 now, finished BA in English Hons this year from a Local Tier-3 Uni in West Bengal. Have decent grades -10/12/UG (55/92/8.5). My family's economic situation is not well off that's why they can't help me to go for higher studies and hence they are very reluctant that I prepare for the Govt Exams and get a Govt Job ASAP. Talking about my personal interest, I like many things. Most interesting fields I like are Business Management, Banking & Finance, Economics & Public Policy, Polity, Law & Constitution and lastly little bit of Technology. I am not really sure of in which field I wanna pursue my career but from last few months, I have a burning desire of pursuing a career in Litigation. But, as mentioned earlier, I am prepping for Banking & Finance Govt Jobs. I will get a job within next 2 years (atleast that's my estimate). So, I wanna views of you guys on if I were to go for law after working in the BFSI sector for 2-3 years (as I have to save some money) what would be my advantages and disadvantages of you guys think I should not pursue law and continue my career in the Banking Sector.

Thanks in advance.
If you have good contacts in the litigation sector then go for it. Else trying your hands in litigation especially when you need money is a bad decision!
You can still write for clat this December. But with lack of prep it will just be a waste of time. Or if you want you can start off with the 3 year llb as well!
Not necessarily. I have met people who managed to crack CLAT/AILET with very little preparation. He still has got 3 months to prepare. If he uses them wisely and works hard, then depending on his existing acumen, he may be able to do the same.
Makes sense - although the sample you are talking about is very small. But it still can happen!
Buddy I am so sorry. I didn’t notice that you only wanted to go to law after β€˜Woking for 2-3 years in the banking sector’. In that case , opt for exams like NLSAT. You can keep options of DU 3 year LLB as well/MHCET 3 year LLB.

Speaking about the prospects - I will say it’s not bad. You will be eligible for the SEBI Grade A legal manager exam. It will quench your thirst of banking sector a lot. You apply to several independent banking law firms as well. Start out with boutique firms. The legal insight will surely be an advantage in your CV and ofc for your competitive career as well. It will help you in your workplace as well! All the best!
Yes, If OP wants to opt for govt exams like SEBI/Judiciary then a law degree is worth it. However, if they want to go for litigation then don't pursue law.
Why not litigation at a later stage of life?

I am thinking of practicing law in my thirties or forties when I will not have money crunch as such. What do you think about this?
But you will have to sustain yourself or your family, right? Litigation is not the choice in your 30s or 40s especially if you are a male. If you are a female then maybe, as you will have some cushion but I still don't think leaving a good banking job and joining litigation is a good idea.
Yes, that's correct. Thanks for your insights.

Will see what can I do.
After 10-15 years, litigation won't be as attractive as it is today.
Then don't think about litigation even in your wildest dreams. This is an area reserved for nepo and privileged kids.
Then don't go bhai. Don't listen to these entitled - baap/clg k naam pe jeene wala crowd. Pachtaoge badme. Law is the engineering of today. Even NLUs can't guarantee a settled career these days coz competition bht h and resources kam.
Not worth wasting 3 years and still earning peanuts. Better you prepare for govt exams, atleast you will have a job to support your family. You can do law at a later stage in life as well.
Anybody can read law, if interested in. Law degree is grossly waste of time and energy if not intended to practice anytime.
Yes, this is why people pay crores to lawyers just to read basic English!
Which lawyer earn in crore, and how many are they actually? 1,2 , 3 maybe out of millions of lawyers slogging day and night in and out of courts just to make a handful. Stop giving false advice to these kids.
Shok shok k lie karna h to krlo bhai, you'll have a fancy designation before your name "Adv", but uske aage kuch nhi . Long story short.
Koi rent pe apartment bhi nahi deta

Bank credit card Personal loan nahi deti

Baap apni beti nahi deta

Samaj izzat nahi deta