Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an A1 at a T1 Disputes Team. I really love reading books. However, as a busy professional, I'm finding it challenging to find time and diversify my reading habit across various genres. To everyone over here, who also love to read, I would appreciate any advice or insights on how you manage to make time for reading amidst demanding full-time jobs. Thank you!
Honestly, I love reading books too, but I did not read or paint for more than a year due to work. It made me very frustrated. Now I have started reading at least 30-50 pages daily. The most suitable time for me is early in the morning when I am having my coffee or when I'm in bed. I make it a point to read something before sleeping. It can be even two pages or one paragraph. But read.
The problem with law associates nowadays is that they will love to listen to ap Dhillon rather than reading about Oppenheimer. The ‘Munda’ culture and folks going gaga over basic looks has taken over like cancer!
I set aside a specific hour every day for reading, just like sleep. I switch my phone off during that period. So far, it has worked in the last five years while working in a firm.
Hey A1.

Just so you know - what you are feeling is valid and lot of us have gone through this. Just to add more context and give you a more proper answer:

First year at a T1 is extremely chaotic. Because you’re suddenly thrown into this fast paced culture which is very different from college. Also, since you’re learning different processes - not just law, but things which aren’t written anywhere (internal law firm workflow/ how courts work/ which senior has what style of working - what he/ she likes dislikes), this just takes up a lot of your time.

Since this isn’t exactly billable work or work in the traditional sense where you are completing a project, you may not realise it, but this is also a groundwork which you need to put in to get a foothold.

Also, from some seniors there is sometimes an expectation that - this person is a junior at beginning of career. They know nothing, so they should sacrifice everything else to learn and make their career. We have slogged and so should they. At times, you might feel like you’re dancing to the tune of your senior (I hope you have reasonable seniors).

And it is partly true. You’re at the beginning of your career. When you’re going from 0 to 1, that extra effort will be required. Think of it this way - you’re building your credibility at this stage where people are monitoring you and trying to form an opinion about you - is he/ she a trustworthy candidate who can take ownership of work. So you need to put in that extra effort.

This is not to say that you should give up all your hobbies. Trust me, only focusing on work - that will drive you crazy. (Been there done that - ended up depressed)

But yes, getting time to read will be difficult. Also since you’ll be cramming yourself with judgements at work, your mind will be constantly overloaded and your mind will crave an instant relief - on weekends automatically you will want to sleep/ do something more dynamic like going out/ watching a movie etc.

But over time you’ll need to draw boundaries at your workplace. Casually discuss with your team members maybe that you like doing/ you have certain hobbies. (Reasonable bosses realise their associates need to recharge) Also, as previously mentioned - reading in the morning when work chaos hasn’t started - that’s a good time to try out (again depends on how your team works/ what time your boss emails you)

Again, these are only generic advice. The specific advice will depend on your specific circumstances. I hope you find your peace and your time to pursue your hobbies. Because as someone once said:

“

Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are all noble pursuits, and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

“

~ FR
Read in court! I feel like the only time I actually get to read is while waiting for my matter to come up in court.

The only downside is that you have to read on your phone or an e-reader, because actually reading a book in court might be looked down upon.