Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Genuine question to people who have been working for 5 + years in banking

What is it that you find appealing/ interesting in banking?

I am in the initial stage of my career and what I’ve realised is banking feels really technical. For ex, if you are working in Gen Corp/ M&A, you can understand the commercials - investor is exiting at ROFO/ ROFR, or one company is acquiring another company, or you do a diligence for an investor and for that you read up/ research on the law (be it SEBI/ sector specific). So at all times you have an idea about what the overall deal is about. You are also regularly researching to prepare legal opinions and memos.

But with banking, it seems the deals are mostly about loans being availed (in the form of NCD/ facilities) and most of the documentation revolves around either how loan is being availed (ECB/ NCD/ syndicate) etc with varying types of security package.

Banking just seems really dense. I get the CP and CS items that need to be fulfilled before disbursement, and the negotiation to insert language as per the term sheet, but there is very little research involved and there are mostly templates available for all documents. No research except for maybe to align template documents as per some recent amendments, and since financing is complex, it’s difficult to grasp what is happening - like it’s not as simple as saying - look another company is getting merged.

Working in a department which you don’t understand for 12-14 hours just feels like banging your head against a wall.

Seniors, what gives you the rush when you work on banking deals? Or, to put it simply - is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

IRR
kuch hai hi nahi interesting isiliye koi response nahi aa rhe. Sit in front of the laptop and do the same shit for 12-14hours/day yehi kaam hai. The first 6months are challenging but after that, it becomes clerical.