Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Hi I am a student from NUSRL Ranchi. I will not mention the batch for specific reasons. I tried to post this yesterday but for some unknown reason the moderator decided not to talk about it. I am from a very recent but not the latest batch of nusrl. And it’s safe to say that the mooting plus debating committee selection in our batch is plagued with favouritism with half of the people being chosen twice or thrice and majority of times it’s them choosing themselves! I don’t intend to be a crybaby and I don’t want to badmouth my college. Sure Nusrl’s state of affairs is not impressive at all but there is always a scope of improvement. However I feel that deserving people who don’t oil the seniors much often get sidelined into oblivion. This is a trend that’s problematic.

Now my sole question is that does this happen at other tier-3 nlus as well? Here even the MCC employs only seniors to judge so the biasedness is even more pronounced. Or is this something to be called out within the batch itself for improvement? Kindly comment below.

I hope this question bypasses moderation.
Welcome to the legal profession, mate. The whole profession is like that buddy.

First off, YES. BIG YES. Tier 3 NLU student here.

Tomorrow whether you work in a law firm or in a litigation office or in a university as a professor, or even courts, you'll have to be in the good books of superiors. This profession is known for nepotism, favouritism, be it law firms, litigation offices or "let me not mention it to not contempt it". You WILL HAVE TO oil up hierarchically superiors. If not oil up, at least try being super friendly and being on their good books Take it as an advice for life for this profession.

Law school will ruin you with concepts of rights, equality and stuff. But life in real life is very different. You cannot demand rights, not even minimum wage in some litigation offices lol. You won't be treated equally. The more senior, the more unequal. Very rarely you'll find people who don't walk around with that air of superiority. But you can't make a profession out of just technical skills working around people that are supposedly normal. Not this one at least. Connections are the single biggest asset you can have in this profession. Very often placed higher than technical skills.

So treat this as your sign to up your people skills, up your connections game.
Even there's no need to have 5 year's education in law. Everything is your connections. Class 12 passed court clerks do better than most of the lawyers. There's no need to have any technical skills. Anybody can read law, but contacts and skill how to use unfair means, not everyone's cup of tea.
The committee selection are based on favoritism everywhere. However, most of the good NLUs usually bring external judges for university rounds of moot/ADR
Hi OP, I was the former convener of one of the societies in a tier 2 NLU and unfortunately I can confirm that favoritism is one of the core ideas of such committees here. I myself rose through the ranks by being the "favorite" of the former core members.

When it was my turn to lead I must admit, I too, chose the meritorious of my juniors to be co-conveners but the 2nd /3rd years were selected purely on favorites. Those kids, arguably devoid of higher merit were selected who I knew personally and while I tried to interview all candidates ultimately I chose the ones who were closer and arguably regulars in the committee. I now hate my choices and the committee but yeah in short, it happens and we do it and I regret every part of the fact that I was also a clog in this huge nepotism machinery.