Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Very recently, a law firm partner on LinkedIn shared an internship guide for aspiring corporate and litigation lawyers. In his guide, he notes WLB is a myth in this profession and that WLB has been invented by shirkers who do not want to put in the work. Thoughts?
I don't understand why it's a myth. If I am ready to work 8-9 hours 5 days a week, and want the leftover time in a week for myself, will I be branded as a 'shirker'? People have so normalised overworking in this profession. Though, other sectors are also now catching up, seeing the working mechanism of law firms sucking life out of their employees.

I seriously think how do these people who want to work 24x7(minus sleep hours and some errands) face their near ones and what behavioural pattern do they develop towards their close ones. But can guarantee you this, they must have stopped spending quality time and have their relationships reduced to a state where they can only be trying to fill the void by supplying luxuries to their dependants. A very materialistic life.

And I see a pattern. Those who justify the absence of WLB (at least in this profession) are extremely rich people with deep pockets. They should try to get sense of a normal Indian family ecosystem. Maybe then they can realise that their accumulated money, definitely gave them luxuries. But they ended up destroying their lives, along with the lives of those who were twisted and gutted down to accept this culture of no life, only work mattering.
Yes this is true. If you want WLB especially in the first 5-8 years, you're in the wrong profession.
Is this law firm CAM?At CAM the partners and MP say this day in and day out whenever leaves are requested.And wouldn't be a surprise if Cyril Shroff would write to BCI to pass a rule that lawyers can't insist on WLB.Who knows that law may get passed also.