Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
Congratulations to all the new Partners! I thought it would be interesting to find a breakdown of the law schools where these Partners come from. As SAM is the leading law firm in the country, their trends should give us a rough idea about the law firm representation of various colleges.

NUJS- 2

GLC- 2

HNLU- 2

GNLU -2

NLSIU- 1

IIT Kharagpur- 2

NLIU- 1
Mumbai University- 1

UPES- 1

NALSAR- 1

Amity- 1

SLSP- 1

Note- I couldn't find the alma mater of Dnyanraj Desai - Projects & Project Finance (Mumbai)

Inferences-

1. It is a pleasant surprise to see both the IPR Partners are from IIT Kharagpur. Goes on to show the value of niche selection by colleges.

2. HNLU arguably has the best alumni base among all Tier 2 NLUs by far.

3. No surprises at all with GNLU and NUJS who have been dominating corporate placements by absolute numbers for some time now.

4. Lack of NLS and NALSAR shows that their alumni no longer prefer domestic law firms, instead going abroad or in academia/policy/research.

5. The downward spiral of NLIU continues as it remains a shadow of its former glory. The overall Partner base is still the strongest.

6. NLUD has the worst alumni base amongst all Tier 1 NLUs. They still have a long way to go before calling themselves top three.

7. Good to see colleges like UPES, Amity, Mumbai University which proves that colleges don't matter in the long run! JGLS missing like always even though it is Partnership time for their initial batches. Makes you think.
Agree with every point except the NLIU one, it seems to be an aberration for them.
Dnyanraj Desai, is probably the best of the lot, has an unnatural capacity for work, and is able to keep a smile on his face despite pulling all nighters, even on fridays. He is from KC Law College, Mumbai. Well deserving. Many congratulations to him.
Wow! How you think that lack of NLS partners show they are taking up other opportunities and on the other hand one should think on the lack of JGLS grads. Get over your jealousy please.
Because one group is self made and the other is dependant on their parents. Not taking names, you decide who is who
Did not know that NLS students start earning after school and are not dependent on their parents for their college fee.
NLS Students start earning right after college whereas most JGLS students fails to do that
Most NLSIU students don't get jobs right after college anymore, so no they don't start earning immediately.
NLUD grads don't care for slaving it out at these lala firms. We'd rather work in the government. UPES and HNLU have many partners now, so you'd suggest those places are better law schools than NLUD? Lol. And a bit rich to randomly assume NLS and NALSAR grads who aren't in Indian law firms are somehow automatically killing it abroad.
You didn't even get the whole point lmao. Please don't tell me you are from NLUD
Is this how you're going to explain the 14 TOTAL OFFERS this year @ NLUD with one guyl having 4 and the another one 2 offers?
Whatโ€™s there to explain? NLUD hasnโ€™t ever been known as the college with the โ€œhighestโ€ number of placements. Itโ€™s a top 3 for other reasons. And I can hands-down guarantee in the next few years there will be NLUD partner promotions in all these firms. Based on one year, some of the desperate trolls are claiming NLUD is behind other shoddy tier-1s that only have the benefit of age than substance.
The OP literally stated, "amongst Tier 1 NLUs". Maybe try to understand before jumping the gun. Also, what cutting edge work are you doing "in the government"?
Just look at any Day 0, NLS/NALSAR students are still as desperate for a corp job like ever before. The only difference is they don't get it now ;)
Han bhai Jindal mein toh sabke naukri lag chuke hai.... The market is really dry this time and all the T1 NLUs are suffering equally. The only difference is that T2 and private law schools did not even have a day Zero!
Hi "LI Enjoyer", this is really below average analysis. โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ

1- Most of these promotions are to non-equity partnership. So glorified PAs to Senior Partners. This is done based on seniority and not business brought in.

2- Can you stop attaching and attributing the college name to every accomplishment in life, you know how degrading it seems. All these people accomplished this on their own merit (or networks/ contacts) 10 years AFTER graduation. Trust me, law school doesnt even prepare you for A0 promotions.

3- NLUJ and NLIU are Tier 2 NLUs, check their alumni base in SCAM/ AZB/ KCO/ Trilegal

4- Placements has nothing to do with the number of partners in a firm. It is the students own accomplishment. Based on internships alone, I have seen GNLU and NUJS students to be more attentive, interested and focused than NALSAR/ NLS students who think that tag sets them apart in any way (it doesnt). Any Partner taking interviews can vouch this difference. But this is slowly degrading in the last 1-2 years, where 80% people literally show up with profiles showing no interest or inclination to work. Consequently firms will move down the ladder. Firms are not hiring subject experts, we need employees who will sit on their seat and analyse documents and help Partners with legal advice.

5- (Rebut Point 4)- Please check the number of equity partners from NLS and NALSAR in "domestic law firms". Please check for GLC grads in academic/ policy and research.

6- NLUD never deserved to call themselves top 3 LOL. And don't cite NIRF ranks FGS.

7- yes colleges don't matter, which invalidates your entire point really.
This is why I advise people to not go for any NLU after HNLU. It is better to do a 3-year LLB at a Tier 1 city than go to tom, dick, harry law schools which call themselves NLUs.

And don't even get me started on Tier 3/Tier 4 NLUs- an absolute waste of time and money. They should all be de-recognized by BCI!!
Surely there's a point to NLUs other than just creating graduates for T1 law firm jobs, no?
Fair enough, R but i still think it's a very important metric. Especially for 1st gen lawyers
70-80l fixed, rest variable. Atleast those are KCO figures for Salaried Partner positions which may more or less be the same for SAM.