Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Article about a judgment on education has a clipart image of a teacher wearing a saree, mangalsutra and bindi!! Was this photo taken from Sooraj Barjatya School of Sanskari Misogyny, Class of 1986? This is NOT how teachers dress in 2023.

Do better, B&B.

https://www.barandbench.com/news/calcutta-high-court-upholds-law-allowing-state-recommend-transfer-school-teachers
Some people learned words like "regressive", "Patriarchal" and "Misogynist" and never stopped using them in every fking sentence.

I don't find anything regressive about them. I passed my 12th a couple of years back and most of the teachers at least at my school, used to wear similar clothes.
Your post is problematic at so many levels.

Firstly, let's address the "this is not how teachers dress in 2023". Not sure about 2023, but ten years ago when I graduated from a school, that is how most of my teachers dressed. The school is in Delhi.

Secondly, portraying them as such is not inherently regressive nor patriarchal. It's an illustration of the reality. The image neither advocates for wearing such clothing nor, in any manner, suggests that this is an ideal classroom. It is the picture of a classroom, not necessarily an ideal classroom.

Thirdly, the assumption that saree, mangalsutra and bindi are worn only out of patriarchal norms is actually denying the women the agency to choose their clothing.

Yes, patriarchy exists. Yes, in a lot of places sarees, mangalsutras & bindis are embodiment of patriarchy. But this ain't it.
Who the hell are you to decide whether this is or is not the women dress up in 2023?

Let me guess.Instead of focusing on judgement your busy focusing on woman's photo.FYI,women still wear saree,mangalsutra and bindi.Frankly its not B&B that's regressive,its you
Sorry, youre saying that the way most indian women dress- saree, mangalsutra and bindi- is regressive and patriarchal? That theyre making the choice to be regressive? What would be progressive then? Western clothes?

I'm a second wave feminist who wants women to burn bras and destroy gender roles- but this analysis is just so silly and stupid. Western clothes are just as patriarchal and regressive. Look at how women dress in hollywood movies! Its all catering to such male gaze! Dont start with how women actually wear high heels and live in pain for themselves- to feel good about themselves. What makes a person think that high heels would make them happy? If it was not the idea of oneself conforming to a terrible stereotype of woman?

I'll tell you what else- real feminism should go beyond clothes. If this is your activism youre a waste of space and a not really a feminist at all. Nearly all of my teachers through out law school and k-12 dressed in sarees and bindis. Almost all of them were fiercely feminist and taught me how to be my own woman. The point of feminism is that we dont want to be judged on our clothes . Women are not less serious or capable because they wear indian clothes.
Depends on which school. No teacher dresses like that at an IB school, or A-list metro city schools. Elsewhere, they do.
A 42-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 66-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.