Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Hi

I am doing LLB from a top notch Russel group University in UK and and keeping options open to return to India. Any one walked that path ? How and where do I finish my 2 year QWE in India ? How do I integrate into Indian legal job market and what kind of opportunities will I get in India after my UK LLB degree? Will my UK legal education be welcome by the Indian corporate legal companies ? Any advice is welcome
have a look at http://www.barcouncilofindia.org/notification-relating-to-recognition-by-bar-council-of-india-of-foreign-universities-imparting-legal-education-and-issuing-law-degrees-and-equivalence-of-law-degrees-by-bar-council-of-india-of-law-deg/#:~:text=On%20the%20other%20hand%2C%20if,Holding%20Foreign%20Law%20Degrees%20after

or you can become a barrister in the UK and then join any of the presidency high courts which still allow barristers to enrol (need to check the latest rules)

Now let me share an experience which a student had when they wanted to come to India after doing LLB from a top UK uni, they had to come to Delhi, they did not do any bridge course etc. but went directly to the delhi bar and enrolled, then started to work under a senior, no one stopped them after a couple of years they sat for the bar exam and then qualified and is now practicing. They did not appear for the Qualifying Examination For Indian Nationals Holding Foreign Law Degrees, dunno how they managed
Unfortunately, law firms in India do not appreciate the value of a good overseas degree. My close friend studied at reputed universities abroad. Got good grades in all courses. Interned with a top QC and a top foreign firm, returned with excellent letters of recommendation. Joined one of the Big 7 firms as an associate but was paid less on the ground that the qualifying advocate exam needed to be cleared. After clearing the exam still paid less and given less preferential treatment than NLU grads. Eventually quit and went back to the UK, joined a top law firm on the strength of reco letters from the people she had interned with. Now doing very well there and also had a stint with the World Bank

Thus, if and when UK law firms open offices in India, you may stand a decent chance of being recruited, but currently no.
A 5-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.