Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
So, I was working with a small boutique transactional law firm, and I had a falling out with the partner there. Harsh words were exchanged and I ended up quitting (the salary is still owed to me after 3 months).

After I quit, I took a break for 2 months to travel and basically just unwind.

For the past 1 month, I have been applying to other law firms, this pattern has continued:

Round 1- Cleared with ease;

Round 2- Technical also cleared

Assignment- Cleared

Round 3- Negotiated Salary.

However after round 3, 4 firms went silent, when the fifth one told me that they wont be hiring me, I requested a call with the HR guy (he was quite outgoing to he divulged more information than he needed).

He tells me that during the background check my ex-partner has given lackluster feedback.

How do I get out of this rut? My ex boss just cant stop making my life hell!

I even applied to companies and the process just repeated itself every time. One of the companies' HR also told me that my ex partner told her "things".

Why is this happening? What do I do? Do I make it clear from the outset?
You would have to make it clear from the outset. Also, you need to threaten your ex-boss of repercussions of naming and shaming on LinkedIn if she does not stop.
This won't stop unless you send a legal notice to your ex boss which has the risk to make your situation worse.Or best to keep trying in firms.You need to give such a great interview and raise your caliber to such an extent that the firms stop paying any attention to your ex partners fees back on you.
Tell your ex boss you will complain to his wife that he is an adulterer, unless he leaves you alone.
most men "bosses" already are, and their wives also are content with the money
Your ex-boss does not owe you anything. My recommendation- pick up the phone, speak to her, tell her that you plan to apply elsewhere and would be grateful if she can give a benign reference check if called upon. Do also apologize for any f*** ups you did (which I am sure you did, child), and seek forgiveness. Forgiveness is a liberating trait, when practiced for self and others, when sought and given. Best of luck.
If your boss was irrational or vindictive, everyone would know that by now and the reference wouldn't affect anything. You probably behaved inappropriately. Own it, apologise and say you hope to do better next time. May be then you have a chance. But also may be not. This is just your best hope of fixing it.