Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Same as stated - do they gel the good students in terms of research and advice? What kind of students do they prefer to mentor? Academically bright?
Yes, they do. If you are looking for mentorship from someone like Sudhir, then you will have to be academically great and he will mostly guide students who are inclined towards academia. On the other hand, I know seniors whom the profs have helped get internships in good places using their contacts, this is the usual and more common kind of help which students usually get.
I mean. Sudhir is one of the reasons many young people have a career. He’s worked with people at clpr, at apu, and even before that at nujs and nls. He’s mentored a bunch of younger academics.

It’s not so much about being β€œbright” as it is about being hardworking and earnest with him.
Such rubbish! Sudhir is the reason why other people have career? Lol! He rarely inspired people. His own career has been chiefly because of his Godfather MP Singh, who made him Professor out of turn and then VC.
He doesnt lecture you and give you a pep talk to inspire you. That is pretty cheap. But if he cares about you- he will help you learn how to do things, learn how to be better, he will consistently be honest and tell you where you should improve. And he will encourage you. And a good word from him actually feels real - rather than empty praise from linkedin gurus. Go on google scholar- look at how many younger scholars thank him in acknowledgements for their papers/ books. Then come back about how sudhir doesnt help people.
Since I can’t downvote , I will clearly mention that sudhir has been a better person than the whole of some other NLUs combined
Sudhir?

Be a high achieving dropper (he loves to mentor people who reattempt and become champs -for instance he feels droppers especially for clat have a lot to offer and if they shine academically in college - boom , you have it)

Be like a stone , don’t question his decisions , just follow them. Be against the protests the students organise even if they have legitimate demands

Be more inclined towards Oxford/Yale. In any way possible.

Have an aspiration to become a Rhodes scholar - even if you don’t become one , he won’t care.

Be a snob intellectually and top exams - sudhir loves this category even though it doesn’t add any value

Last but not the least - if you are that rebel silent kind of a topper detached from batch , sudhir will Mentor you for sure.

Whatever I said above is correct because sudhir doesn’t love to train people with flaws , he loves to train merciless , unnecessarily determined robots. I am up for a genuine discussion on this. I hope this passes moderation.
Lmao I can corroborate some facts here. We USED to think that he loved robots but actually he does care. The dropper part is true. I don’t know about the Rhodes thing.

Topper? Yeah maybe - but you have to realise that you also should be curios to be trained under him. The rebel silent kind is partially true

I loved the sacracstic take here btw
Haha. Sudhir has written me several recommendations and I don't meet a single one of the points above. Not a topper, did not drop, did not apply to oxford or yale. never wanted to be a rhodes scholar. Constantly fought with him about issues and disagreed with him.Did not top any exams (double digits in CLAT- but he didnt know me then). Not a snob. pretty silent usually.

I know tons of folks sudhir has mentored who didnt even go to NLUs and were certainly not toppers.

folks are so consistently wrong about him its wild.

All I did was - I worked my butt off for him, proved to him that my grades did not determine my potential, and showed him how honest I was about the work. Build an authentic connection and he might appreciate you. If you try to suck up to him and try and game some system- he might still write you a letter- but he wont actually admire you. Man is all about the work.
This is not what we call connections. The person had to work their ass off to get to NLS and then do well enough in order to get mentorship from senior profs. This isn't easy. If this is connection then everything is based on connection.
I never mentioned that he only trains THOSE people. He has a preference is that’s what I am claiming. You have to admit that the guy loves robots more than anything.