Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
So, I'm in my 8th year working as a corporate lawyer. I have a reasonably good career and I'm meeting the career beats as I should at this stage. I've had some troubles with depression in the past (who hasn't though amirite?), but again -- reasonably fine now. I've done the whole boutique, T2, T1 dance as well.

Off late I've been thinking about setting up a second life almost that's a lot more fulfilling and actually meets the aspirations I had as a college student and an early practitioner. This involves primarily studying humanities and maybe some teaching. It's not practical or pragmatic given that I'm married and have an actual life of responsibilities. I'm just putting this out there to see if there are others in the same boat/cliff/precipice whatever have you.

I know there'll be some who say "corp lawyer slave blah blah" "corp lawyer sad money wipe tears blah blah". Please fight the instinct to say that, the post is about mid-career thoughts and how to deal with divergent aspirations while being a stable adult.
Why not take a sabbatical and do a 3 months teach out at NLS or NUJS

If you want to take babysteps then teach a single credit course at NUJS or NLUD, contact someone from these colleges there will be a point person for credit course there
In a past radio show, Dame Carol Black, who was the principal at Newnham College Cambridge, was asked about the advice she shares with her students when considering their future. Without missing a beat, she replied, "I tell them to 'have a go'. If you don't go for something you can never have it, you can only have regrets".

The pain of regret is worse than any fear that is holding you back.
I think all you need is a small side gig/habit. At 8 year PQE, you would have a reasonable standing to select something that you can accommodate even in an unpredictable environment. A new language, a new musical instrument, a new fitness regime, a small blog of something you love. Don't aim for grand things...just something small that you can devote 20 mins a day. That alone will give you plenty of happiness and relieve this feeling without impacting the stability that your family needs or the life that you have already built.
You must have streaked your hair blue if you actually think registering on blogspot.com and writing for your 12 buddies (who know it all about you anyway) will help you clear life troubles at 35.
This is a good recommendation. Baby steps and not a complete overhaul should help you.
Take a sabbatical and do a masters in a subject/s you'd like to study and allow that to steer your profession ahead.
I am feeling the same. 8 year pqe) with litigation and some corporate experience and married with responsibilities

I wish to leave big cities and settle in a small place and do gardening probably

So I am taking baby steps of somehow able to leave first.

Dekhte hai
Same boat here mate. Apart from the T2-T1 dance and a sabbatical to prepare for UPSC, life's trajectory has been pretty similar to yours. Just like your teaching, have been contemplating a move in-house for better work-life balance and more time with kids (lesser money would do).

Spend other days envying those who setup their independent practice or hometown school friends managing their family businesses, but I guess its too late for that!