Read 66 comments as:
Filter By
https://www.nls.ac.in/news-events/nlsiu-announces-school-review-commission-2023-24/

“ The National Law School of India University is glad to announce the appointment of the School Review Commission 2023-24 (SRC), comprising Prof. Timothy Endicott as the Chair, and Prof. Catherine O’Regan and Prof David B. Wilkins as Members. The SRC has been appointed by the Chancellor of the University, the Hon’ble Chief Justice of India Dr. D. Y. Chandrachud, in consultation with the Government of Karnataka. The SRC shall undertake a comprehensive review of all aspects of the University and submit its recommendations to the Chancellor in mid-2024.”

Prof Endicott (Oxford), Prof Wilkins (Harvard Law), and Prof O’Reagan (retd South African Constituonal Court judge).
Fantastic! But why does Chandu not show such interest when it comes to NUJS and GNLU, where he is also Chancellor?
“While engaging with the SRC, the Hon’ble Dr Justice D. Y. Chandrachud observed that the NLSIU has done very well as an experiment and succeeded in reshaping Indian legal education. The Chancellor suggested to the SRC that their Review will provide an opportunity for the University to reflect and grow, particularly to not just train students, but also help academics develop their highest potential. The Chancellor further noted that the task before this SRC would extend beyond submission of review findings, and would be a forward glance on the future of NLSIU and of legal and policy education in India.” - this is awesome , congrats guys.
Don't know about emotion, but it's fanboys and girls are definitely "the cringe".
Sudhir be like: ab mera kaam khalas. The kind of shit which he has done to this University is innumerable. Only current students will know what I am talking about. Outsiders seem to be a fan of Sudhir because of alumni hiring! I feel like a protest is slowly brewing and may just burst out within the next year or two unless he leaves by then!
Why the downvotes? Why can't NALSAR/NUJS students appreciate Sudhir's good work instead of being jealous? You guys should lobby for an alum as VC who can be even better than Sudhir. NALSAR can lobby for Anoop Surendranath (currently at NLUD) or Pritam Baruah (BML Munjal) while NUJS can lobby for Shubhankar Dam or Saptarishi Bandopadhyay or Nemika Jha (currently at JGLS).
Because they are frustrated af. Look at those colleges. They are insecure about the growing gap between nalsar and Nujs
This week I attended a workshop on constitutional law in Delhi that was organised by Professor Shubankar Dam and it was absolutely phenomenal. I am already an Assistant professor but even then I learnt so much about legal writing and scholarship. It was at a different level totally and I have never attended anything like this. I only feel bad that such people are not teaching in India and when a few of us asked him if he would come back to India one day he only smiled
I cannot say enough good things about the workshop because it was really the most unique experience I have had so far. Like usually in a conference you get 5 or 10 minutes to speak but here the format was totally the opposite.
Dam is set to take up a visiting professor position in his alma mater, NUJS, very soon.
Can you give the professors contact details. We can request our university to also invite him
His email is available on his university website. Do some research and procure it.
Why do you automatically assume that NALSAR/NUJS students are downvoting the comments? There are plenty of NLSIU students who do not like Sudhir and have doubts about how this URC will be able to grasp the real problems and challenges facing an Indian institution without having much of an idea about Indian legal education system at all.
Neither Anoop nor Pritam have been professors for ten years and hence they don't qualify. Shubhankar does not even have a PhD yet. Nemika did not become a professor at JGLS by fulfilling the UGC requirements (almost none of their professors do, since they give that designation randomly to a lot of junior people), so she won't qualify either. Saptarishi is an Assistant Professor at Osgoode, so he doesn't qualify either. Only Srividhya Raghavan qualifies among NLU alum now, but after her Goa fiasco, she probably has had enough of Indian legal education for a while now.
That way Sudhir himself didn't fulfil UGC requirements when he was made professor at NUJS. The rules can't be applied to one person and not to another.
That was done in breach of rules. These days, one cannot do it without attracting litigation.
MP Singh was also advised not to do it and that the skies would fall. He did it anyway. Ranbir Singh also had the spine to take on the litigation.
Irrelevant. The 10 year prof rule is not written in stone and has been waived for certain places. Also, nothing stops student bodies from demanding that the rule be waived.
The UGC rule of 10 years as Professor for being eligible to be Vice Chancellor has not been waived anywhere, rather "it has been violated at some places".

The student bodies cannot get the waiver for any candidate for VCship.

The rule is written in stone.
During an interaction with NUJS students many years ago, Subhankar Sir himself said that if you follow the letter of the law strictly, then currently he is not even eligible for a TA position in Indian law schools. That was his own assessment because he is not having UGC NET and all other higher qualifications.
Other nlus can’t stand the success. If your parents loved the other child more because he is smarter , wouldn’t you be sad? It’s the same case here.
Because NLSIU is the Arjun here and others were just the other four brothers.
Two minutes silence for NUJS and GNLU which also have Chandrachud as Chancellor 🤣

On a serious note, I expect the Review Commission will recommend that NLSIU be given INI status without domicile quota. This may be the whole reason why foreign experts were appointed. The question then arises about what happens to other NLUs, because a #NationaliseNLUs petition was signed by all NLU student bodies in 2016 or so.
Interesting - isn't a review commission supposed to be fully independent? Or does this technically pass muster?
Scratch my back and I will scratch yours is the rule that makes the world go round
This is such a cabal. How can it have any credibility? Not a single Indian was found fit to be a part of this?
Law School alum and Vidhi founder Arghya Sengupta destroys Sudhir/NLS admin for all foreign review Commission

https://twitter.com/arghya_justify/status/1682447561502892032
Bringing his zero years of working at an Indian university to say how things should be. Timothy Endicott has taught more in India than Arghya Sengupta.
Arghya Sengupta’s arguments and especially this is like poison. You should never use it
If araghya wants to get into education he should. Rather than firing shots from the sidelines. He has no clue how corrupt and awful the Indian legal education system is. So he thinks nls asked who’re people because of colonial hangover. In reality they likely just asked people who would be honest and tough and fair and that is hard to find in today’s Indian higher Ed system.
Honest, fair, tough, clueless about Indian education, all in one. The argument that you are making here also applies to you commenting about legal education then. It is true that three foreign academics cannot cumulatively decide what's best for an Indian law school. They lack ground level data about reality. They will have to rely heavily for such data on the admin, who will doubtless provide a version of their own.
Maybe being an outsider to the corruption that plagues the indian education system is a good thing? itll help them be honest instead of trying to be polite or be bogged down in "this is our culture" arguments about corrupt practices. Araghya assumes that lawyers in america and england are not trained in policy or litigating even though clinical programmes there are clearly more successful than the sham we have here. I think largely he might just be bitter that nls didnt consult vidhi to do this. the SRC is free to gather data on their own- they dont have to rely on what admin tells them.
Honest and practical enough to at least get the university moving forward and get going. It absolutely makes sense. I still don’t get why Araghya is getting pumped up
Because his whole business model relies on rubbishing academics in India.
Great, we can see the 'real' Harvard of the East without the hype
The review committee is a Friends of Sudhir Club that will sing his praises, but what will really benefit NLSIU is the affirmation of the Karnataka High Court decision saying that NLSIU is a national institution and should not have domicile quota. This observation will then be submitted to the SC, which is hearing the state government”s appeal. Moreover, the present AG is an NLSIU alum and ASG Vikramjit Banerjee is the one who made the argument in the first place, before the Karnataka High Court. Everyone knows this is the agenda of setting up the review commission.

I have no problem with this, but I have a big problem when Sudhir, Vikramjit & Co make the argument that other NLUs are state universities and cannot be compared with NLSIU. It was dishonest, unethical and unnecessary of them to make this argument before the Karnataka High Court, which didn’t know any better. Why bring others down?
Then y’all should have improved your NLUs. It didn’t happen right? Now don’t cry. Yes other NLUs are in fact state universities. No one is bringing others down. NLS is just bringing itself up.
Same day same argument. Get a life please. NLS deserves the national tag and you know it
Amazing , relaly amazing. Other nlus will really lag behind now
I am so happy that this is being advertised positively. By tomorrow other nlu people will flood this thread with their negativity
NLSIU should try for the INI status now. Pretty sure they have the upper hand among all nlus now.
NLS again broadening the gap with other nlus. Worth joining NLS
Let us all please have a moment of silence for all the NLS fan boys and girls who now think this SRC will lead to some kind of withdrawal of their domicile quota. The two are so unrelated, it almost seems trollish. Kids, the NLS GC has recommended the quota and CJI heads that, it is NEVER going to be reversed. Government of India is also never going to nationalise it just to take on more liabilities. SRC can’t do anything.

And regardless, with 300 students a batch, NLS is finished in its old avatar. I hear some folks comparing it to Harvard which apparently has a high student intake too, but make no mistake, NLS is no Indian Harvard. Pretty sure one research centre at Harvard gets more funding than the entire of NLS. And SK and his gang are the definition of what Macaulay had in mind when he said we want “Indians in blood, colour and looks, but British is tastes, preferences and values”.
Reading the wording of Chandrachud’s order, it’s blatantly obvious that the agenda is to recommend INI status for NLSIU. This is wonderful, but why is the same privilege not given by Chandrachud to other places where he is the chancellor?
What a ▮▮▮ who have failed to get into Law School and try no end to besmirch its name. The affirmation from one of the most brilliant legal minds the country had produced should suffice to show you all your respective places. Instead of cribbing about Law School, sit for the exam 2-3 times until you get in. Don’t be a failure. Be a doer.
Exactly! My point is this only. They won’t sit because they know they can’t crack