Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
I'm currently starting out 3rd year of law school and I have been interning under an advocate who is a NLS grad. He has offered me guidance and mentorship gently about my career progression in law school and remarked that he appreciates my work ethic. He highlighted that my keenness and enthusiasm to learn would be appreciated in a law firm. I have an interest to join a firm and possibly alleviate my chances of getting a PPO (done with an international moot and bagged a good citation). However, I come from a private law school which isn't so good in terms of teaching skills but honestly, at this juncture I understand it extremely well that cribbing won't work. I want to ask the advocate to give me a contact/referral or pitch in a good word for me somewhere but I'm unsure how to have that conversation with him. I wouldn't want to spoil the rapport that I have fostered with him because he's genuinely a good human and has helped me become more sound with understanding the law. Any insights would be appreciated!
yes you can politely ask him to help you with an internship referral, just ask him to base this off of merit and feedback on your work with him, this way it is not a contact, rather a professional reference. If he doesn't reply or chooses not to give you one, take the call though.