Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
This is a HUGE generational shift in Indian politics. Previously, newspaper editors and Bollywood actors were awarded Rajya Sabha seats, but now social media influencers are recognised as being at least as influential as them, if not more. With just 5-6 years of solid Twitter engagement, Saket Gokhale got enough clout to be nominated as a Rajya Sabha MP, at a relatively young age. Thus, it's not far fetched that other popular influencers like Dhruv Rathee, Akash Banerjee, Sejal Kumar, Barkha Singh etc could also find their way to the Rajya Sabha in future, in place of ageing Bollywood actors and retired cricketers. The eventual impact could be more discussion in parliament on issues affecting the youth.

This could also be a message to lawyers to beef up their Twitter profile if they have political aspirations. J Sai Deepak, Karuna Nundy are Sanjay Hegde are all examples of lawyers whose fame has been greatly enhanced by social media. Among Gen Z, you have people like NUJS alum Aishwarya Mudgil (from the right) and GNLU alum Rohin Bhat (from the left) getting a lot of traction on Twitter.

NOTE: Regarding the title of my post, I refer to Saket Gokhale as a social media influencer because he is primarily known as a social media influencer (despite now joining the TMC) and became established on that basis. For example, an MP like Shashi Tharoor does not count despite his huge Twitter following, as he was already established in other fields before becoming a social media influencer. Same applies to Sachin Tendulkar, Mary Kom, Gautam Gambhir, Subramanian Swamy, Navjot Sidhu etc etc, who were/are all MPs. Saket Gokhale is very different than all of them, hence the title.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/trinamool-congress-candidature-six-candidates-derek-o-brien-saket-gokhale-rajya-sabha-elections-2404296-2023-07-10
It's a terrible choice, in my view. She could have opted for a former judge or for a respected lawyer from Bengal. Saket is a weak debater, is facing corruption charges, does not have good academic or professional qualifications and is not from Bengal.