Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
So, I am a third year student at a T1 NLU. i have a below average rank, let's say in the ballpark of 80/120. The rank is the way it is for a single abysmal semester, the fault of which I fully accept.

I have a few semesters to go before Day Zero, and I'm close to losing hope of having a successful career in law. I've seen with my own eyes the struggle of those who are not placed from campus, this fate is something i fear and it feels like it's already inevitable for me.

At the same time, I want to persevere for i do love this field and do not have any regrets whatsoever choosing law.

So here i am, asking for advice from those who've been there and persevered, in the same situation as me.

T1, No contacts, Bad GPA.

How do i increase my chances of being placed?
Been there and done that at a tier-1 when the batch size was ~80. Screwed up my CGPA in first year and had to slog it out over the rest. Ngl, you have your hands full to perform in your academics over the next 2-3 semesters before Day Zero. At the very least, you canโ€™t afford to fall down further.

You need to increase your CGPA to atleast be in the top half of your batch to be on the safe side so that firms atleast short list you for the interview. That means youโ€™ll have to have one very good semester where your CGPA is in the top 10-20% of the batch if possible.

After that it does come down to experience in relevant internships and maybe even moots/ADR/publications (yeah, this helps to show knowledge and interest). Some places like CAM/SAM are obsessed with CGPA but others like Trilegal and Luthra arenโ€™t so anal about it. Do atleast another two tier-1 internships if possible. Another question here is which tier-1 youโ€™re from since all tier-1s have 120-odd kids now. It might be slightly harder at places like NLUD which havenโ€™t had as many placement numbers historically for various reasons, whereas it might be a little easier at places like NALSAR/NUJS even with a lower rank, albeit at tier-2 firms mostly.
Sorry to burst your bubble but nlu Delhi attracts more law firms than Nujs now.
Not really. Hardly any non-tier 1 firms turn up for NLUDโ€™s Day Zero. Whereas quite a few lower paying firms come for NUJS, NLUJ, GNLU and all.
Excuse me? If you are talking about bringing below 10 lpa firms , then nujs is involved in this more than nlu delhi. Check the records. NUJS has historically brought more mid-tier law firms (for instance Talwar Thakore and Bharucha) and they donโ€™t forget to add that in their inflated irrelevant placement report every summer. And thatโ€™s how you people claim , that yโ€™all are ahead than nlu Delhi when in reality even Gujarat is better off in bringing tier-1 PPOs than you guys. Talk about hypocrisy. This is true and hard facts btw.
Dude, there is no tier one firm that doesn't come to NUJS. And the placement data actually reveals which firm made how many offers and acceptances. There is neither opacity nor fake data, and an annual placement report published regularly. Much better than NLUD's โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ salary claims. As for GNLU, let it publish its full report and settle the matter. Nobody is stopping it.
We would if only NLUD ever comes up with any. At this stage, nobody believes whatever they say.
Well, alright, NLUDโ€™s placements are improving but the fact remains that not as many folks seem to want corporate jobs compared to other top NLUs. So naturally, the numbers would be slightly lesser.
You still have 4 semesters before day Z, right? Try to improve your batch rank a bit. Other than this, write some papers and publish them in good places. Just work your ass off for these two years. Everyone at a T1 gets an internship so try to do well during the internship and maybe get a PPO.
You will be just fine. Just be confident at the inter view and you will have a good tier-1 chance.
A lot of backbenchers at top 3 nlus have bad GPA yet they end up in tier-1 firms. Donโ€™t worry
Ditch law and start preparing for CAT already brother, MBA opens many more doors for you and is way better than being stuck in a law firm with ungodly work hours, however while you are at law school do consider interning at smaller firms to gain exposure. Keep writing to all these firms and someone will surely get you in. All the best and work hard
What sense even? If Iโ€™m good in football so Iโ€™ll start playing cricket. If law is not your cup of tea you can always shift to a different field and performance in one canโ€™t be collated as a sure shot guarantee of performance or the lack of it in another, also CAT is for MBA IG, what did you imply by cat or mba sir ;)
Useless advice. The guy already said he wants to focus on law for the time being. What is it with people like you who constantly talk about doing MBA. Itโ€™s not any easier to get into or do well at a top MBA school as compared to a top law school. But maybe youโ€™re just jealous since you couldnโ€™t hack it.
A 19-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 15-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.