Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Height of unsporting conduct. No surprises that Ashwin supports them, because Mankading is equally unsporting. But what happened yesterday is worse and, in fact, NOT OUT. See Brad Hogg’s tweet on the subject. Spot on. Bairstow tapped his ankle to show that he respects the crease, yet Carey threw at the stumps. WTF is this???

Gen Z people supporting this should understand that cricket has a rich, upper class gentlemanly tradition. It is not a game for street thugs and riff, like football.
True. I am saying so because he didn't start from outside the crease, he was deep in crease, ducked the ball and after that market the guard and went for chit chat to stokesy. he wasn't running and he can't be stumped because he was inside the crease all the while. The only mistake he did was not to realise ball wasn't dead. Australia should not have done it, but having said that England shouldn't cry spirt of cricket because nobody care about it when they're a giving side and England has given a lot of time

Aus were scared and they wanted a wicket by hook or crook and Lyon absence only motivated to do it. also, Starc dismissal of duckket which was ruled not out on basis of MCC book irked Oz really much, so they thought of giving rule book taste to OZ back and did this. But for me the real match was won when Lyon came for batting and scored those crucial 10-15 runs worked a like huge plus in context of game in hindsight
There is a generational divide here. Older generations think it's unfair, youngsters think it's okay.
It's not about rules but traditions. Keep street cricket culture where it belongs. This is Lords.
It is people like you who disrespect the sport and bring it into disrepute by moaning about sentiments. It is the duty of each cricketer to adhere to the laws of the game and do everything possible within the scope of these laws to win for their team. Not availing an opportunity to gain an advantage while acting in accordance with the rules of the game will be a disservice to one's team. Staying attentive, being clever, focused and innovative is also part of the game, it is not only about skill, a lot of it is using brains.
190 countries play football.

Cricket World cup me 10 me se 4 teams ko to hath pakad kar lana padta hai.

Football vs Cricket is like US vs Somalia.
Why is it a no ball when bowler is even one inch ahead then? why doesn't he get a warning? Mankad is totally fine, why should batsmen always get extra advantage, if someone is stepping ahead he is getting extra advantage. There are rules and there is so called 'spirit of the game.' You sound like someone who was left behind when British left India and is still trying to impress them so they take you in, it's the same with Western countries they cry about 'Rules based order' when there are no defined rules and then habitually break established international law, same goes with English if it helps then win then it's alright otherwise cry about 'spirit of the game'. If they are such firm believers of spirit of the game they should have at least shared their maiden WC title with NZ if not altogether forfeit it, but then they only cared about rules not spirit.
There's a lot of difference between Mankading and Bairstow's dismissal. Former involves batsman clearly trying to take advantage by stealing a run. That wasn't the case in the latter.
I'm a Law School batting legend, so I am qualified to wax eloquent on this.

"Upper class and gentlemanly" are loaded words. They imply primacy and benefit of doubt to the batsman, who is typically a rich toff, as compared to the working class bowlers.

You've also got your timeline wrong. Carey threw the ball the moment he gathered it. He didn't wait to check if YJB had tapped his ankle. YJB was stupid, and paid the price. It happens.
I do agree that Carey was within the rules, but when they realised, they didn't have to appeal or could have withdrawn the appeal. That would have been in consonance with the spirit of the game. However, if people are trying to pass off that as part of the rules, then they should lobby to have the rules changed.
I am not from GenZ . But i support carey here because that much time batsman spends in crease had there been a spinner . So carey is not wrong there.