Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
hey! I have just gotten into my fourth year at nluo and I'm still not very much sure about my career choice. How to figure it out?
Hey,

It is totally fine. Even, it is quite normal for people to keep exploring their options in final year or after graduation. Many people realize, after graduation, that they have stepped in something where they don't fit in and the initial experience render them a desire to change the career pathway which they had previously thought in their law school journey to be a perfect job.

You have just gotten into your fourth year and have ample time to narrow down your career options. And the best known way to do this is internships. In law, the primary options revolve around litigation and corporate. You might have done internships in these arenas and if not, invest your time in that.

However, I'd suggest you an additional option which I personally prefer. That is, narrow down the option based on the activities you like doing. For instance, I realized during my law school life that I love tasks that involve researching, writing, curating materials, analyzing them, etc. And my internship experiences have taught me exactly opposite (things which I don't like doing), and that helped me eliminating both litigation and corporate as my career options.

So the point is, first gain secondary knowledge of various options available to a person in the legal profession (assuming you don't decide to leave the profession itself). Analyze, what a particular job entails doing and match those activities with your profile. If you believe you are short of time, then start with internship on this narrowed down area. If otherwise, I'd suggest to look for options beyond these areas as you may find a renewed interest in doing a job which you previously might have thought would not suit you or will definitely at least end up eliminating an option if you don't like it.

I am myself a fresh graduate and don't know much realities of the job market. However, currently looking for jobs I have realized that world is abound with humans who discover their true purpose in life only after having work experiences for some years. Though, there are also people who chose a career path during their studies and keep on following their goal(s) with inspiring determination. You can fall in either of the two categories. And honestly, both categories are at par in value.

Just get yourself involved with people who are actually working in the domain you would like to work, and have a conversation. You will discover the most suitable option at the right time.

All the best!