Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2023/jun/14/18-bjp-rajya-sabha-mps-including-10-union-ministerslikely-to-contest-2024-elections-2584828.html

Reportedly being considered for the Anandpur Sahib Ludhiana seat. Historical if it happens. He will become the ever NLU grad to get a Lok Sabha ticket and that too from the biggest party. All the more impressive is that he is a non-nepo kid (unlike the girl from NLSIU who recently won in Karnataka). Winning will be very difficult, but he may have an outside chance if BJP ties up with Akali Dal again and if Congress and AAP split the anti-BJP/anti-Akali vote. In fact, this happened in 2014. AAP and Congress each got around 29% vote share and Akali Dal (with BJP support) won with 31% vote share.
Jaiveer’s dad is one of the most successful lawyers in Punjab. Calling him a non nepo kid is a strech.
I think you may be wrong and mixing his father with someone else. Jaiveer has repeatedly said in interviews that he is from a farmer family. Can you name the person you are talking about?
His name is R.S Gill. Here is link to a documentary about him: https://youtu.be/4iQfjJytpnU peep the Rolls Royce and then decide if he comes from a humble background or not.
His dad is a very successful lawyer from Jalandhar. Almost everyone (especially those belonging to the Jat Sikh groups, for instance Shergill) from Punjab can honestly claim to ‘belong to a family of farmers’ or say that their ‘father is a farmer.’

The reason for this is that we have maintained strong connections to land. I am a law school graduate, living and working abroad, and my parents spend a considerable amount of time with me here. However, we lease out our lands every year (‘theke te’ - for those who understand the local vernacular*), usually to the same person/family, who till it. We get paid a pre fixed amount in return which counts as agricultural income. Most city based Jat Sikh families that don’t till themselves have this arrangement. As such, I get to say, if needed, that my ‘father is an agriculturist (a farmer).’

Alternatively, my father’s brothers live in the village and till our lands as well as their own. Therefore, I get to say that I belong to ‘a family of farmers.’ This doesn’t mean I’m lying in either case. However, this also doesn’t mean that my father wasn’t a senior military officer.

It’s the same with Jaiveer who I happen to know well.
He left Congress coz he hired chartered planes for senior leaders during the Bengal elections and threw a rooftop party at Taj Bengal, but still did not get a ticket! Hopefully he will get better treatment from BJP.