Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
I have seen this growing among toppers. For instance the Top 3. Very few toppers from the batch opt for corporate law jobs aur rahi baat gold medalists ki. Why the cream of the Tier-1 NLUs don’t join corporate law firms in India? Based on my observation , they usually opt for these four careers

1. Rhodes scholarships/Ivy llm

2. UPSC

3. TCs (magic circle/biglaw)

4. MBA(with full ride usually from T-15 or holy grail in India)

Some toppers who do end up getting a ppo leave the job within 1-2 years.

Can anyone explain?
"If it's easy, I don't want it" T1 Corp job is a cakewalk for toppers. On the other hand, a TC/Rhodes/UPSC is tough even if u r a topper. The amount of prestige associated with these is much higher.
They like a challenge. All the other things mean more work and more learning.
Because they are toppers. They studied thoroughly. They are the intelligent ones. It’s that’s simple.
They don’t like to work in an environment where their freedom is limited. That’s why at least a TC is still preferred.
I heard one topper calling out law firms as β€˜artificial’ and I can’t agree more :)
Why will a gold medalist bother to earn peanuts here when he or she can further the degree and earn wayyyy more???
indian law firms have 0 respect for their employees. i agree that the hours are not way different at UK law firms, the prestige and the culture and the overall experience makes up for it.
Simple - why will anyone be a corporate slave where he or she can work at a better pay scale abroad or further his/her degree to obtain a better job. They are toppers for a reason. Aise thodi gold medal milta hein
They are toppers lol. Not backbenchers who attended classes for jobs.
I mean. they had to have liked studying if not liked the law at least a little bit. It made their brain light up. Why would you waste that talent in the small world of indias lala firms?
Especially with the pay scale that’s not even attractive compared to the work hours
Most of the times the toppers do not know what they want. Mugging up crap in law school might be easier for people like them but in the real world none of that shit matters. For some weird reason those people cannot fathom that due to which they gradually venture out into public policy or get a fancy LLM - still not knowing what to make out of their lives. These grades do not really matter, enjoy your time at law school while it lasts. Worst come worse - start out at a tier 2, slog, make it to tier 1 and enjoy the process without rushing it. Do not compare yourself to anyone; do it for the nights you only had yourself sitting with a cup of spirits and a mind full of dreams.
Accha? I feel it’s too idealistic. Children work hard and be the topper
As somebody who graduated within the top bracket, I agree with this observation. It is not very difficult to score in University exams (in my experience, all it took was just to start studying 2 days before an exam or not take a submission extremely lightly, while most of the crowd would not even do that). I can say for myself, I don’t think I know the intricacies of any subject/law - good expression and speed, and dependable memory helped me sail through, especially during the pandemic. After graduating, the imposter syndrome has kicked in - competitive exams or litigation seem too luck based with chances of making it infinitesimal and corporate job seems too mundane - the false expectations seem to have done more damage than good!
Maybe your college also matters then. And what do you mean by top bracket? A rank of 15 will ofc make you give the vibe of imposter syndrome.
Tier 1 NLU, decently large batch size for top 10 to assume significance
As a former topper who quit Tier 1, I can only say that being a topper in law school is not a guarantee of success anywhere. Some toppers also quit law entirely. I know this is not the response you are looking for
Quit law and then join better or lucrative careers. Be it mba or business or entrepreneurship as a whole or UPSc. That exactly was the point :)