Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, so I am a full time advocate practising at Trial Courts in Sagar, MP. Coming from Non - NLU , I di not have exposure , internet facility and peers who used to do internships under sr adv or justices. Recently I signed up for facebook and made good friends and got sone information.

I wish to set up myself at Delhi High Court or Supreme Court.

What should be preferred path to do that amongs one of these:-

1) to join designated sr adv immediately- I have HEARD that chambers of designated sr adv have only research and briefing work and in every matter major work is already done by Law Firm People

2) To join non - designated sr adv immediately - Is this choice more wise because chambers of non designated sr adv have more learning opportunities

3) to work in law firm for a while and switch later - for the same reason as written in point (1)

Kindly guide and share insights. Thank you

Y V Chandracute.
If you want to end up in litigation only, I would say there's no need to join law firms (unless your financial condition REQUIRES that you join a law firm).

Ideal scenario would be to join a trial lawyer to get an essence of how things work in Delhi trial courts. After a while, move on to a non-senior advocate working on the appellate side (HC/SC) or HC Original Side (or both). Important part is that their office should be involved in filings.

You are right, you won't have a lot to learn at the offices of most designated seniors. All you end up doing is flagging the files and making a compilation of cases (and maybe a List of Dates). Drafting, briefing, strategising is all done by the briefing counsel. There are exceptions, but very few.

Joining a filing counsel who regularly engages seniors appears to be the best case scenario for you then.
join an aor's office for 2-3 years. u will get an idea of how to work, who's who. then move to senior adv chamber.