Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
Ok. I know what I am about to say is going to sound radical. But hear me out.

Look, when I signed up for the job, I knew it was going to be long hours. While other jobs people get to leave office at 6-7pm, we have to stay around in office till at least 9pm.

A normal day of a Corp lawyer probably ends at 10pm. If there’s more work, yes, stay back till 12pm - 1 am and finish the work.

I’m even okay to work till 3-4 am on certain days - let’s say when deadline is in next 2 days.

But when every week, the work becomes such that you have to work till 3 in the night, and even weekends you don’t get a break, then you have to push back.

I know we get paid by the hour, so technically the more hours you work, the more money you get. But certain hours are more valuable than other hours. Especially 1am - 6am. That’s when our body needs sleep. It’s not something optional.

You know which group works till 3-4am in the night regularly? People who are in high growth startups, and are trying to establish themselves. If we have to work every other day till 3 am, we are much better off working in a startup. At least you get equity in startups, not some random fluff from seniors about “take ownership about work”

And you might say, oh - it’s because lot of matters are on fire right now. Umm ok, but as a senior with 10 + years experience, you can surely anticipate that. Why are you taking on more work when you know you are understaffed for that task?

Because here’s what happens when workload increases. Juniors get pulled up for not being committed enough. Junior tries to work late night, pushes their limit, burnouts and then quits due to mental health issues.

Partner pockets the profit and finds someone else to replace then in 1-2 months.

The house always wins.