Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
There are so many threads on criticism of toxic partners, me too, law firm culture etc.

Now it's time for y'all to reflect on something really bad you've done and regretted and would like to confess the same with or without naming yourself. Or it could be something that happened to you that you couldn't come out with before. It could be your new crush, your cheating husband, you creeping out girls/ creeped out etc.

Confessing something must not be a moment for you to take pride in never been caught. Even if the legal system didn't punish you already , Karma will always follow you. So it is expected that you do not use language to demean the victims or rejoice over the wrong doing. Just confess, let others be disgusted by your acts without anyone knowing you, and move on. Atleast you can hear replies on the degree of the wrong itself, which you may have exaggerated/ diminished and will help you move on.

Caution- Naming another person who connived with you, or was a victim of your acts may attract censors from the moderation. Replies naming or providing hints on the author also may attract censors.
Hit on an intern, got poshed, didnt really face consequences but yeah, wasnt all good
Scolded an associate for a spelling error, regretted later but was encouraged to do so
Deliberately kept myself untidy and unkempt and never bothered about sharp looks because tidying myself up as a peacock for selling to the business world put me off. But now I regret it because even though appearances don't matter really, but for those who appearance matters, it actually matters regardless of the deeper principles. I might have missed several climbing up opportunities because of this, but then the loss does not sting as much, because I was too unbothered about it to feel the loss. I am only regretting in hindsight.
Hey, a fresh graduate with similar thoughts here. What would you advice me for this?
I don't know about you, but for me - it's all about how you want to perceive the world.

If you feel like you are peacocking yourself to the world and that drives you nuts - nothing wrong in that. It's just that having that sort of a lens will come with its associated consequences, for which you should be prepared.

If you think you are not going to like those consequences, then well start changing your lens to the one that is expected to give you the consequences you prefer.

If you want to succeed in the law firm world, you need to look sharp. I heard this quote somewhere much later that courtroom lawyers wear white shirts and white bands and all because if they can't keep their own clothes in order, how can they expect to keep the client's stuff in order?

While as a lawyer-philosopher, you may be above the material demands of the world, your clients are not so and they will judge you from their perspective. Your clients out in the world are persistent about their material goals and objectives and are using the instruments of law to achieve those goals and objectives. They would like a lawyer who is is not perturbed by those perspectives, even if not sharing those.

I also found it much later that Chanakya had once said that even though appearances by themselves do not matter, a king still need to keep up appearances, for the folks - lest they might doubt the capabilities of the king.
This is definately more pronounced for girls than guys, we have to have one misplaced strand and it will be pointed out or "something is off about you"
I did something but stopped short of delivering it, but the child picked it up and drank anyway.