Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
I was allotted a seat at GNLU in the lay list, but I had my heart set on NLUJ, which was ranked higher in my own preference list.

Now I’ve been hearing a lot of things about GNLU that’s put me on the fence.

I was confident that I had made the right decision, as looking at the allotment lists, most students ranked higher opted for NLUJ over GNLU. I was under the impression that NLUJ had a better academic track record and overall reputation, societally as well as with employers.

But factors causing me to lean towards GNLU are:

1) Lack of student leadership at NLUJ

2) Better infrastructure at GNLU

3) What I’ve heard about the current VC at NLUJ

4) Less remote and closer to a thriving city than NLUJ

I’ve floated my seat for now, but when the next list comes out and I still have the option for GNKU do I stick with it? Academics are more important to me than campus life, but I would still like to live one.
NLUJ isn't NLS, it has decent campus life as well. There is not much of a difference between NLUJ and GNLU when it comes to campus life. In fact, NLUJ would be less toxic
GNLU is better on most of these parameters. But to your points; there is no student body at GNLU either, we just have a marginally better admin and VC combo than NLUJ so it works out for us. Less remote is true but thriving city is not, Ahmedabad is one of the worst, non-student friendly cities in India. Most GNLUites drive up to Rajasthan border for alcohol, so you can imagine
I am a graduate of NLUJ and have so many friends at GNLU. As far as I understand, academics is important even in GNLU but the course structure in GNLU will provide ample time to do other things as well. You will get ample time to do your own research and mooting. I think GNLU is a good choice. Honestly, you cannot make a bad choice between NLUJ and GNLU. In terms of campus placements, both are equally good. While GNLU has more absolute number of placements, it also has larger batch size. If you do good at either of these two colleges, you will be fine.
As a student from GNLU. I would say you wouldn't find any leaders here either. Moreover, even though the infrastructure is better than NLUJ's, NLUJ students get single room and a better internet connectivity. I believe the your reasons are not right because if you do join GNLU based on these reasons you will be disappointed. Better reasons would be.

1. Better Life - As in GNLU is pretty chill. Unlike NLUJ we don't have the academic rigour and get ample of opportunities to do well in extra curricular activities.

2. Better administration - GNLU's administration is better than NLUJ's. Even though they are not the best but they are pretty accomodating though they are quite sluggish.

3. More opportunities for other career options other tha corporate - If you decide to practice litigation GNLU will provide you a scholarship for one year. Moreover, in terms of academia GNLU hires its own students as TRAs.

So these are some ways GNLU is better than NLUJ but let me remind you that you still have a better probability of getting placed in NLUJ than in GNLU. GNLU has a huge batch size compared to that of NLUJ.
I am facing the same issue. Can someone please also provide a comparison between NLUJ and GNLU regarding extra-curriculars like mooting? I don't want to just focus on academics, but I've heard that NLU-J has a very intense academic environment?

Also how is the placement and ragging culture at GNLU?
hi!

nluj student here.

I agree with most of the points you have mentioned and campus life on NLUJ is a fairly non-existant more often that not but firstly, the VC is changing this sem and secondly, i don't particularly see how things like remoteness to the city etc have to do with selecting a uni. at the end of the day, you are going there to study so the factors that you consider must be more study-related imo. this would include things such as peer group, faculty, alumni base etc, all of which are significantly better at NLUJ
What modi factor? How will it help a law school? Has it helped GNLU in getting more faculty, more jobs than other NLUs, more scholarships, better research output in a decade and a half now?
A 0-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 9-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.