Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
The misinformation in this above comment is insane. I got placed (tier 1 + top 5 nlu) and I have left my job to prepare for DJS. I wasted 1.5 years at that stupid job. Some from my batch have already done the same, and a few even cleared the 2022-2023 DJS, including people who left their tier 1 jobs in the first 3-6 months.

As to salary, “won’t even increase beyond 60k”??? Bhai??? Before I left my job, I had face to face conversations with serving DJS officers and their starting (in-hand) salary was 95k+ (plus i.e another 20-25k which they get through reimbursement-based allowances). This is the STARTING in-hand salary.

If you don’t want to trust my personal information, fine. Look at the last notification of DJS 2022, it’s publicly available. The basic salary starts at Rs. 56,100 as per the notification. First things first, you get DA and HRA on the basic salary. As per current prevailing rates, officers get 42% DA and 27% HRA added to the basic salary. Do the numbers and we get apprx Rs 94,809 per month. This is the amount they get EXCLUDING the home orderly allowance, petrol allowance, electricity and water allowance (these are given as reimbursements, and I’m told that it comes around 25k per month).

Mind you, this is the CURRENT salary of DJS as Delhi Govt applies the 7th pay commission to DJS and DHJS. Which means that this is before the second judicial pay commission is even implemented in Delhi. Once it is implemented, the numbers are expected to increase.

I’m so tired of people misguiding law students to run behind corporate jobs. I’m not dissing at UPSC at all, but judiciary is not a bad option either especially for some of us who want a decent work-life balance and a job that actually means something in the society. I agree that the “power craze” behind UPSC is much more, but so what? Not everybody cares about that?

Stop with the misinformation, seriously, grow up.
With regards to facilities of judicial officers in all UTs, CPC & NJPC both applied accordingly.

Covering only important Facilities & Allowances in Delhi & UTs :

1. Accomodation - 3 or 4 bhk flats or HRA at Central Govt. norms (no bungalow system for DJS except PDJ). Due to frequent transfers within cities many prefer to shift permanently rather than opting quarters (for DJS).

2. Car - Same as other states BUT BUT here they also have to pay if uses it for non-official purpose and on payment max. 500 KM they can took their official car. This rule is same for all Central Govt. & Delhi Govt. employees.

3. Home orderly - Due to distance b/w court & residence, it is unable to get the services of orderlies extended to the home also. Thus here home orderly ALLOWANCE given to hire one unskilled labour as orderly. CMM & PDJ can hire 2 & 3 respectively.

4. Security - Non-armed security provided to judicial residential complexes. Govt. hire guards from verified private service providers. PSO only provided to specifc judges.

5. Other allowances :

5.1. Tech. Allowance - 1.10L (every 4yr) + Mobile phone (every 3yr)

5.2. Furniture Allowance - 1.25 (every 5yr)

5.3. Free electricity & Water - 6K unit /annum for civil judges & 8K unit /annum for DJ cadre

5.4. Children Education Allowance - Rs. 2250/month & Hostel Subsidy Rs. 6750/ month (for 2 children upto class 12th)

5.5. Newspaper Allowance - Rs. 500/month (2 paper & 1 magazine) for civil judge & Rs. 700/ month (2 paper & 2 magazine) for DJ

5.6. Robe Allowance - Rs. 6K (every 3yr)
I have witnessed pre-mid-post era of njpc. The credit for upgrading district judiciary goes only to the Hon'ble SC because it is who bring back & maintained the standard of district judiciary otherwise govt. will not even spend Rs. 1 for judiciary & HC was not taking any interest don't know why.

𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐅𝐍𝐉𝐏𝐂 -

1. In many states like Bihar, UP, MP, etc the salary of District Judge was equal to District Magistrates with less or nearly equal perks & alliwances. Many places DMs were given newly built bungalows with all amenities whereas DJs were still using old british era made accommodations with less facilities. Other judges accommodations was like Dharamshala's. Even at many places special electricity facilities (means 24×7 hr electricity) were not extended to any Judges (include DJs) but was available to top district executives.

2. In majority of states the order of prefernce of DJs was after DMs & no value of CJMs. Also I saw on multiple occasions that DMs & ADMs used to address DJs by their name rather than sir /mam & had no fear of court rather judges used to fear.

3. Except DJs no practical SOPs was for other like some judges who don't have their own four wheelers use to visit court by walking, Rickshaw, shared Autos/taxis, bicycles (yes it's true), bike etc. The profession was like that even the peons didn't give much attentions to their respective judges.

Most of the time I used to think that why no young ones join judiciary like other pcs or upsc & every time I came across with uncle ji like faces & rarely 2-3 females (yet more than HJS grade of that time). Later I got to know that none join as an aspirants but unwillingness due to financial pressure. Also exams was not tougher that time & recuritment through source was also common in remote states. Whoever clear other pcs or upsc they immediately join there w/o giving a thought.

𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐁𝐔𝐓 all scenario started changing after 1NJPC, in which major two ruling was -

1. Removing 3yr practice criteria.

2. Upgrading district judicial officers ranking at par with IAS grades & removed comparison with other State services.

& The effect was getting seen from 2004, when the induction of young & personality minds taking momentum + adoption of new judicial rankings by states & centre shows the rise of new district judiciary.

𝐅𝐄𝐖 𝐄𝐅𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐒 :-

1. Uniform pay, perks, ranks made across India like All India Service. Also order of preference now at par with counterparts IAS at any functions.

2. Sir / Ma'am terminology adopted to address any judicial officers even of same ranking or junior.

3. Judicial officers started recognizing & valuing their designations & service. Also started carrying fearless attitude. They learned from IAS /IPS grades that how to keep maintain their standards & everything even at low emoluments. Also the societies & other important wings started treating judicial officers like how IAS / IPS fellows gets.

4. The craziness for this job touching sky. Now on large scale the female community opting judiciary as dream career rather than other job. Example - among my connections, one left RBI Grade B (was female) & 3 another left T1 law firm for PCS (J) while one of my colleagues brother did his master from QMU London through scholarship and later join judiciary. From various sources learned that top NLU grades are opting PCS (J) over other on large scale.

5. New deputation posts & scope created same like IAS / IPS grades at centre and states. Like ADJs & DJs nomore compared with DMs scale and getting recognition at par with Joint Secretary - Secretary to Govt. of India & getting union posting.

6. Facilities, perks & lifestyle are highly improved. Recently I got the chance to visit one serving IAS officer's residence (not DM or Commissioner) in MP it was totally in poor states but when I visited judicial colony in same district the first impression of colony was enough to explain the standard of quarters. I was totally surprised that how much judiciary upgrade itself.

There are many more effects to write but I think its enough as 2NJPC already out & implemented (except allowances). Also the Apex Court in same case strictly directed now to use "𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐭 𝐉𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐫𝐲" in place of "𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐉𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐫𝐲" will add more glorification.

If compare b/w pre-njpc era Vs. post-njpc era in one sentence -

"𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐈𝐓𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐉𝐎𝐁 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐈𝐀𝐒"

Hope the respective High Courts too focus like this on district judiciary.
Please share your views that which state Judicial Service is best like promotion scope, facilities, life, work culture, etc. If possible then also provide comparison between states judiciary's on any factors. Any other informations related to topic are also welcome.

Note :

1. Act like mature & take this thread seriously & only share your views if you're well-versed or logical informations keeping objectice of thread in mind otherwise don't spam.

2. Don't share the pay of judges or comparison of judicial services with other govt or pvt. jobs as separate thread is already on these topics.

3. Please use unique username as it will be very easy to everyone to identify & comment.