Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
There is in fact one. It’s a first division distinction which isn’t exactly a gold medal but you get it. You are wrong here mister
Not really - this year the market is awful for sure literally in this exact position rn and I did my LLM from a T6.
If not international arbitration, what would you recommend I pursue as an LLM since I definitely want to move abroad? I already have 3 years of expertise in a disputes team, and I don't want to shift to a transactional practice area.

Europe was my main preference for disputes LLMs, but as you'd mentioned - I've also heard how it's tough to get a job afterwards, and how you have to complete multiple traineeships. So do you have any idea on what to do? And is it really that difficult once you get a job there to ascend the ladder? I also know a few seniors who're going up the ladder in Europe pretty fast (they're practicing investor-state arbitration and trade disputes though).
It is near impossible to get a job in the the disputes practice of a white shoe firm after an LLM, even if it is from Harvard or Yale. But there are quite a few folks who have transitioned to a career in Big Law, although most of them practice transactional law. A fair few of them get reassessed after their first or second year (typically a few months after they have successfully completed getting barred considering first year associates are termed law clerks and not associates until they complete all licensing formalities). Having said that, its not impossible -- I have heard of at least one senior from law school who practices US litigation and international arbitration at a top NY shop. But then he is an exception in many ways -- guy is probably overqualified for the job considering he was up for partner at his previous firm and is a quite senior in the profession and generally well-known in the community.

If you are interested in international arbitration, then I recommend studying in Europe as it is generally cheaper than the US or UK, tends to have more scholarship/aid, and allows you to intern with the firms there, which are generally more open to foreign lawyers, especially if you are skilled in English legal writing.

Speaking as someone who came back to India after doing an LLM, I would say dont do it if you intend to practice international arbitration. There is barely any work to go around and I cant say people are professionally treated. There is crazy oversupply and standards have fallen long and hard. It is probably the only practice area that attracts qualified and experienced lawyers who are coerced into accepting minimum wages internships/traineeships for (increasingly many) years. And thats only the beginning, prospects only dip lower as one ascends the law firm ladder, where "native" lawyers who can also litigate having a distinct edge over others. Even compared to other practice areas, it is well accepted that in international arbitration the hours are brutal, drafting is unskilled and unnecessarily prolix, and in general you get -- forgive me if I'm getting my metaphors twisted -- much more "bang" for the buck than your peers.
This really does not make sense re: language. No deals in India are done in Hindi or one of the other state/official languages. All deal/cross-border docs are in English -- how is language a plus? Unless this is for some trial court litigation matter.
Not false. But those folks have commendable background ranging from a good nlu plus a fantastic cgpa plus prolly gold medallists in the llm programme
I have never worked in India but I can definitely say that the work-life balance here is great. I get 3.5 weeks off for summers and no calls on weekends (work gets stuck and sometimes it can be annoying, for me atleast). I am moving back to India for a year or so mainly to upskill myself on Indian Law as this skill is gaining great interest here (I get cold calls from other firms here inspite of having just 3PQE). The knowledge of the language is a huge plus however, I know 2 other Indian lawyers that have settled here without knowing it.
that's far from the truth. Every year Indians get a job in the US after an LLM. The number of folks that will make it depends on the market, but happens every year.
Hi, any particular reasons why you want to move back to India? I always assumed that work-life is much better abroad
Target a very good score in gmat (this helps in scholarship trust me). GMAT scores actually matter. Your GPA in your college. Your work ex (the number of years don’t matter - what matters is your work performance) and a bloody strong SOP. You can get full ride
Hi there! Idk how useful this is to you but I was hired by a foreign law firm due my knowledge of the local language. I got in touch with them 3 years ago by contacting every recommended law firm in the list published by the embassy of the particular country. I’ve been part of the India Desk of my law firm and worked on numerous deals in India. Funnily enough, I find myself in the exact opposite situation and I’m going to move back to India in a T1. All the best to you!
GMAT scores aren't enough though, and MBAs are expensive. Any insight on how to get a scholarship for an MBA?
Can someone please help with this? Or connect me to someone who can help?
As someone who wishes to have a similar career trajectory, this thread would be helpful. Please comment, people!
At least you can have the work ex required for the MBA. Sit for GMAT
I would love to try for an MBA, but it isn't that simple. I'm sure need some business acumen or experience to get into a good MBA program. Any way I can get that after 3 years at a law firm?
Most likely International arbitration. A lot of US and UK firms work on India-focused disputes too so general litigation is also an option.
I want an honest answer, no sass please. I am an Associate who has worked in the disputes team of a T1 firm for 3 years. I want to move abroad but do not know how to.

Can anyone explain the process of how to move laterally to a foreign firm? If agencies can help, please give me a few names. If not, who should I contact?

Does an LLM help in finding a job abroad, specifically in Europe? I was looking at profiles of individuals with prestigious LLMs (eg: Harvard, Oxford, the MIDS LLM for disputes etc), and most either come back to India, or are still trainees or interns at foreign firms. Is there ANY university LLM that would help in finding a job abroad?