Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Oh, are you doing the job just for money? Either to save for a startup one day, or early retirement to pursue hobbies, or to fund a high-maintenance supermodel wife/girlfriend/[husband/boyfriend]?
Why should I fund a partner? Sorry, I'm not into self-destruction and complete annihilation of my potential for the satisfaction of baser desires. For someone who can't go without a release - ▮▮▮ is free, FYI.
Bro, there are so many people in such relationships: money in exchange for honey. But this is more common for investment bankers and finance bros than law firm people. Maybe 80% of investment bankers/finance bros versus 20% of law firm people.
Everyone does it for the money if anyone says otherwise they are lying.

Early retirement had always been my goal, particularly retirement from corporate life.

The corporate world gives you enough money to retire and establish oneself as a good enough lawyer in litigation. The money in the initial years is slow and that's where your piggy bank from the corporate world comes into picture.
Spot on.The goal should be to work at a firm from till the age of 32-35, then switch to a career where you have more satisfaction and independence: own litigation chamber, own startup, academics, policy work etc. Even journalism, politics etc for that matter.

Frankly, those who follow this law firm life from age 25 to age 60 (and even beyond) need their heads examined. In some cases they may have an unhealthy obsession with earning money. That's a disease.
OP here. The moderator inserted "husband/boyfriend" to be politically corrected, but I have never heard of a trophy husband/boyfriend.