Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Nope, nobody survives capital markets and everybody know the nightmares of pressure and long hours which capital markets involves. Competiton law, Banking & Finance (including Projects), Tax and TMT are where the hiring is active. Thanks and best of luck!
arey nobody survives isiliye they are hiring constantly to fill those up.

Looks like you lost your common sense and logic sis
Hey, no, what I am trying to say is that attrition happens - recruitment happens - and then slowly the new recruit now realises that this practice isn't for them. I think every tier 1 capital markets team knows that there is dearth of people who can really survive the soul crushing clerical job of a junior in such team; therefore, they look to recruiting paralegals at 1/3rd the cost of an A0. If one wants to show that he/she is cut out for an A0 position, he/she must intern intern and intern as there is no clear substitute to work experience for an entry. Good luck!
Other than one T1 competition team team which has extremely high attrition rate, none of the other T1s have many openings at fresher level. This is because of the overall small size of the practise (not more than 100 merger filings, 15 prima facie investigation orders and around 7-10 section 27 orders per year overall) and vast number of already existing competition lawyers. The market is super saturated. There are around 200 competition lawyers in T1s alone. That makes it 0.5 merger filing per competition lawyer every year. Moreover, there is no competition practise in T2 firms.

Choose this area wisely and only if you are genuinely interested and are even ready to slog to make a career in this practice area.

P.s.: sorry for any typos and long post. I generally don't get time to comment on LI. But had to share my thoughts since this impacts many students.
Vacancies are usually not dependent on practise area,its based on the team partner and culture and overall firm vulture.If its a good set of seniors in team, even the worst and moat general profiles have low vacancies.There are some select partner teams even in general corporate practice areas(which tends to have high degree of attritions given easy flexibility to switch firms) that have very low vacancies mostly likely coz of the team culture.

General corporate practise area is easiest to break into because of work variety, ample corp work, multitude of clients with multitude of needs,easy to jump area of law.