Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
hello,

i have been debarred from taking my exams on account of having very low attendance and presumably will also be made to repeat the year meaning i will be graduating law school in six years and im just curious as to how this is going to be affecting my life, my prospects and my career and how big a deal it is and how worried i should be about it.

i will sincerely appreciate any inputs because im genuinely clueless about the whole thing
Best advice would be to stop thinking about it as a repeat year; rather, think of it as an additional year to rectify all your mistakes and improve yourself. That extra year would be compensated for if you fill your CV with quality moots, publications, ADR competitions, etc.

Focus on learning as much as you can.
Domestic placements: If your CV shapes up well over the remainder of your law school, it likely should not affect you at all. Especially if you come across as someone who knows what they are talking about, commensurate to expected knowledge levels.

Training contracts: TCs are offered to students from a select few colleges only. The UK firms that do offer Vac Schemes and TCs to Indian students expect perfect CVs so this may be a problem for TCs.
Do drop years like aspirants preparing for clat before joining any esteemed NLU hamper the chances of a TC ? Or this pertains to drop years only after college starts (like failing in the exam per se)
What bs? I have seen double droppers going for TC. But yea if you perform badly within university then you are dead meat
How does that even work? Like how is possible for a student to have so little attendance that they have to be debarred from the examination?

How do such people face their parents? The money their parents flushed in, the least one can do is be a good student, attend classes and do well in exams.

Maybe law school isn't for you, this is your sign to drop out and follow something which is more in your forte.
I know a person who was debarred from writing exams in 2 subjects because of 73.2% and 74% attendance respectively at NLS and is repeating a year! I do not think that qualifies as "so little"
that still means you missed 25% of your classes- what were you doing with your time? would you do that at your workplace? take an off twice a week? of course not!
Don't listen to this OP. There are can be numerous reasons why some people aren't able to attend their classes - not everyone leads a stable life. The fact that they're looking for advice on how to deal with it shows that they're willing to improve and learn from their mistakes.

It won't cost you much to be at least a little kind.
Its a slap on the back of your head to take your education seriously. If you actually do that, this is the best thing which happened to you.
[Merged: Lost a year due to attendance shortage, will it affect internship/placement opportunities?]

I am from a T-1 NLU and have gotten a year loss as I couldn't attend a whole semester due to medical reasons. Will it affect my chances of getting internships or placements? I have a decent CGPA (Top 20%) with good co-curriculars.
serious medical stuff? like cancer or whatever? No. firms wont blame you for that.
I had a surgery which required a bed rest of a month and a half. I am completely fine now.
Maybe you won’t be eligible for Rhodes scholarship but apart from that everything is fine