Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
There has been a suicide case at GNLU last week. A student of Batch of 2023 has โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ take his own life. The college has been blamed for it and for even hiding the news, as is very evident from few twitter accounts. The college sent out a condolence email last Thursday but then continued with affairs as usual.

It's pathetic that a life has gone and no discussion on mental health has taken place.
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, please do seek immediate help, such as the National Suicide Prevention Helpline on 1800-121-3667.

There are many resources available for those struggling with suicidal thoughts, including hotlines, counseling services, and support groups. It is important to know that you are not alone and that there are people who care about you and want to help, such as these and even potentially friends and family: https://www.scoopwhoop.com/health/suicide-prevention-helplines-in-india/
Sad to see that GNLU is still in such a mess. I do hope LI publishes this comment in full.

I am from one of the initial batches of GNU-this batch was most caustic when it comes to groupism, and its been over a decade since I have passed out. During this time, Rajasthan and the larger Hindi belt was in domination, and if you were a male, and did not conform to their standards of toxic masculinity-you would either be physically beaten, ostracised or outcasted. All three were done concurrently with me. Not to vent on LI-but want to mention the larger issue at hand over here with college administrations.

Violence didn't come naturally to me, and I did the ill fated move of attempting to sit in a place apparently 'reserved' for a batchmate of mine, who belonged to one marauding group. Ended up getting physically assaulted. Attempted complaining to the then in charge registrar who chided me that I should be put in my place. From thereon, anything that I did, including attempting to date women was mocked, ridiculed with the relationship being disbanded on account of frustration. Came close to attempting suicide in 2010-my mother prayed for good intentions of the marauding group. Had to bow my head down in front of all them in order to be left in peace to give my placement interview. The administration either was silent, or did nothing-punishment for harassing fellow students was 'watering of plants'. Hence, if you became a target-you were essentially screwed.

The initial batch of GNLU had set a degree of fear and violence, which ensured that upcoming batches prior to the CLAT never dared to mess with anyone from certain specified regions. It was a tough time. Molesters, eve teasers and violent folks sit in echelons of power both in the private and public space.

Coming to the larger issue-if anyone is facing trouble-either on account of harassment, academic pressure, mental health and anything else. Please don't take the extreme step-there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
SHOCKING!! But I must also say that this has happened at other NLUs too.

- NLSIU: During MoGo's time, some people were involved suspended for physical/sexual ragging n the early 2000s, but were thankfully punished. However, though the son of a top Congress bureaucrat got away thanks to MoGo's relationship with the party.

- NALSAR: During Ranbir Singh's time ragging was absolutely brutal and similarly perpetrated by a North Indian lobby. There is a certain bullying tactic used against US army cadets that hurts a lot but leaves no marks (not naming the tactic as I don't want people googling it). That tactic was used.

- NUJS: Apparently a "tradition" to slap, punch and kick students in the posterior during their birthdays.
At NUJS, there's no such tradition if you are not into it. I've spent 5 years there myself and never had any such experience.
Just curious: are these helplines any good? Who operates them and what happens if one calls? Does someone pick up and counsel? What if it's vey late at night? And who finances them?

Interestingly, the ScoopWhoop article says India is the world;'s most depressed country. Is that really true? But plenty of reasons for one in India to get to get depressed though, especially middle-class people :(
I won't be able to answer all the questions, but I can speak from the experience of having been in a place where I had to use these helplines. Most of the helplines operate only during working hours (like 9-5), which is incredibly inconvenient in case you get an urge in the middle of the night. Even if you do end up calling them during their working hours, mostly you'd be put on hold and have no one to speak to. Once, I actually did get to speak to someone, but that person immediately asked me for my name and location - which is something you wouldn't want to disclose for the sake of your anonymity.

Thankfully I had friends and family members to take care of me. Had my sole recourse been these helplines, I would not be here today.
Can anyone please elaborate on the incident in question? Shocking and equally surprised that I can't find in any news item? Can we please get word of administration and get it covered in news?
I am no supporter of NLUs. I hate the mediocre toadies and bigots who run them with the passion (excepting NLSIU and Sudhir).

But I also think itโ€™s unfair to instinctively blame the GNLU admin for this incident. Mental health is a very serious issue in India, for which society at large is to claim. There are so many reasons why people will suffer mental health damage in India. You are pressured to perform in exams, pressured on who you date, pressured to lighten your skin if you are a girl etc. But worst of all, it is even peers who are hurtful and toxic. We all remember the GNLU batch which complained to the VC that they wanted more respect from the junior batch (which didnโ€™t even exist yet!). That is the symptom of a larger disease.
Truly tragic, we've all been in shock. He didn't die on campus though, seems to have taken his life while away and with a friend is what we've heard. Hope this is a wakeup lesson for others to prioritise their mental health over everything else
Why the Moderator has marked it contested. https://twitter.com/Arnavana/status/1639170765491675136?t=GY88_bcks4Q_v7_n1WJixw&s=19.

This is also a proof. Any GNLU student would be able to submit a proof of condolence email and holiday declared last Thursday.
Thanks for sharing and our condolences to all fellow students, friends and family. Out of abundance of caution, we mark such posts as contested until there is further evidence corroborating it.
The way the professor's reacted to it created more trouble as they were insensitive or ignorant to the whole incidence
It is not just the profs. who are to be blamed. The current vc does barely anything and also does not participate in any of the events organised by the uni. Also, the hostel wardens who are basically the first point of contact between the students and admin are โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ, case in point, the ruckus caused in the hostel this semester as was evident in social media. They did nothing except in blaming a few junior batches while the seniors got away unscathed.
So much for the whole propaganda that GNLU was running, about the massive funds, about the bet research about surpassing Nujs, NALSAR and NLUD.

When they can't even be transparent about the death of their own Student, how can they expect parents send their kids to such a place.

Something tells me that they are being this discreet because they don't want to ruin their NIRF ranking, and they should be ashamed of that's the reason.
No Legally India it is not a rumour, but it is the reality. A student had taken his own life last week. It has been a big loss not only for the entire GNLU family but also the legal fraternity in general. Don't know the reason why so many young people are taking their lives at such a young age.

Now, replying to the question posted above regr why no discussion on mental health has taken place. First, let me make it v. clear that the gnlu admin provides for counselling facilities to everyone on campus and also students have access to YourDost mental health programme 24 7, and it's practically impossible for the admin to cater to everything.

It's more to do with the incessant toxicity and back-biting of students initiated by some students of the '24 batch which has forced us to see this day. What's the use of talking about mental health now??? Several diff students from this '24 batch have been posting about this toxicity in various social medial circles including LI, but this batch continues to remain as toxic as it was before and probably even more. Most of the students in this batch are so v sadistic and toxic, what's the use of talking about mental health here. Almost every other day a fight would take place within the batch, even in the main WA group of the batch. When these toxic students inspite of such much happening refuse to shed their ego and toxicity, just discussing about mental health is going to be of no use. Don't take my statement as being negative towards this batch, many of the batchmates have the same opinion regarding the batch.

And I want to tell this so-called-toxic people in the batch (can't take the names so won't take)- don't even try to lecture on mental health, when you guys are the real reason behind it. Not only we but also other law college students know about the toxicity, so stop pretending to be innocent.

P.S. The opinion expressed above is solely of the author and the author is no way liable for anything posted above.
Is the '24 batch the one that posted the infamous letter seeking "respect" from juniors and demeaning that they be addressed as "Sir"?
Absolutely true, It's people around you who make things absolutely terrible.
Just asking is it the same batch where an infamous group called the Gf-17 stays, have heard a lot about this group as being very egoistic, toxic and groupism-lovers.
Yes, the name of the deceased is Sushant Sapra. He was a bright student from Batch of 2023. Don't know why newspapers haven't covered the incident. It's a huge loss to GNLU
A very sad tragedy has happened. I request students not to use it to spread their personal agenda against the admin. As has been pointed out, students at GNLU are also at fault for their toxicity and are a lot more to blame than the admin.
A 32-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 26-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 8-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 30-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 19-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 16-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.