Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I believe I can do well in academia but India is definitely not the correct place to do that, so I think getting an LLM from a good UK/USA law college can help me get a job as a professor at an American law school?? idk. pls, help me in understanding how this process works.
It's very difficult. You should either do a J.D. + Ph.D. from a top school for the best chance or some kind of S.J.D. or PhD. which may help but won't necessarily. To put it in context, even a professor from Oxford or Cambridge would not easily be able to get a permanent faculty position in a top US law school. It is the most competitive market in the world.
Won’t be enough to do llm. Do PhD. Academic market there is saturated- you’ll have to find a niche that works for you and keep making connections and applying.
Well, the minimum requirement is to be able to do independent research, a crucial skill you seem to lack as demonstrated by how this question is phrased.
Getting a tenured position in a US law school is highly difficult and even becoming a tenure-track faculty may take over a decade. It is a highly competitive process. Moreover, academic quality or scholarship is by no means limited to US, though I'm not sure whether you meant that by doing well in academics.
Actually India is quite easy if you come back with a fancy LLM and do a decent PhD. The only question is if you can steer clear of politically controversial subjects. Otherwise most of the problems we have here, you'll face everywhere and without any family/ friends support.