Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
What you refused to consider is that people have responsibilities and obligations. To mock them because of that is moronic. I work in a firm because I have bills to pay and old parents to take care of. The money makes my life easier and I am scared of abandoning that and unwilling to take the risk. Yes, firms are not the perfect places to be in but the truth is most places aren't. The money is good, the work is alright and I have gotten habituated with it. Here, that's your answer.
Work is a bottomless pit - but manage it like an adult. Organise things by priority. Stagger your deadlines. Set a reasonable goal for what you will get done everyday and get it done as quickly as possible and then go do whatever you want. Employers are not fools. They know a hard/ smart worker when they see one and someone who is just hanging around till late hours hoping to give the impression that theyโ€™re doing work when really theyโ€™re just messing around. Have clear goal oriented conversations with your supervisor about what is expected. Be an adult about it. No one is going to create work life balance and present it on a platter. You have to be self possessed enough to think carefully about your goals and act on them.