Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
The article below is from a pro-BJP newspaper, so I believe every word of it when it comes to citing government sources, because I think they will have good access to the Modi government. It's obvious SILF was told to take a hike because India-UK relations are fare more important, and perhaps Rishi Sunak's promotion as PM softened up the BJP. But what I find absolutely shocking is this paragraph:

"The second objection was that the Indian entities in India would lose their hold over young lawyers as once the foreign lawyers and firms enter the Indian market, they will emerge as the first choice for internship and jobs considering their pro-employee policies, pay, work environment and professionalism."

What the actual f**k??? Desi firms opposed International firms because of "pro-employee" work conditions?? DUUUUDE. .... This is a SHOCKING revelation that makes me SICK!!! They openly said that during negotiations and didn't even try to hide it????

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Three is an emergency SILF meeting scheduled on March 20. I think the CLAT consortium and NLU student associations must also get together and have a counter-meeting supporting the decision, citing this article.

https://sundayguardianlive.com/news/after-bar-council-nod-to-foreign-lawyers-india-uk-closer-to-signing-fta
https://sundayguardianlive.com/news/after-bar-council-nod-to-foreign-lawyers-india-uk-closer-to-signing-fta

"The objections to the entry of the (foreign) law firms into India were mostly coming from the representatives of law firms that are based in India."

Poor lalajis,unable to continue their monopoly on legal sector through their law firms.
The newspaper should reveal the name of the firms which made the remark about employee-friendly policies.
Can we file an RTI and get minutes of the meeting between SILF and Piyush Goyal, or is it privileged?
So SILF openly admits that foreign law firms are pro-employee! Compare with what Ajay Bahl said a few days ago (ironically, at an event where Lalit Bhasin was guest of honour):

"Do not have expectations (at a young age). People ask us about weekend and work-from-home policy, what is growth. I did not know these things five years ago, or when I started. People's expectations need to get real. This is the age to work hard, not worry about Sundays."

https://www.barandbench.com/news/glocalisation-ai-work-life-balance-highlights-from-aba-conference-session-on-future-of-legal-profession
I am glad that the government prevailed against those with vested interests and has opened up the corporate law sector. This gives me a deja vu - when Dr. Mannohan Singh started economic liberalization in India. The opening up of the legal sector coupled with India becoming the 3rd largest economy in the world by 2028, will see an explosion of legal services. It is better to have 70% of a larger pie, than have 100% of a small one.
Dude just a general suggestion. Getting the NLU student association together for a common cause is as difficult as removing toxicity from the '24 batch of GNLU. In short, it is impossible.
I am glad foreign law firms are coming now - the winner is the law field here