Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
B tier UK Unis like KCL , Manchester and Southampton vs A Tier NLUs like NLSIU , NALSAR & NLU-D (which one wins - in terms of undergrad)
Even C-tier UK universities are better. One can then wear a "phoren-returned" T-shirt. It is a different matter that Rishi Sunak wants to deny student visas to all those who cannot make it to top universities in the UK. He wants to close the back door entry to UK.
they do not serve the same 'market', so any comparison is useless

also, NLUD is not in tier 1 (NUJS is) and KCL is not in tier 2, more like 1.5 (with LSE and UCL)
Delusional Noojie spotted. NLUD has been better than NUJS for a long time now. You won’t find even a single law aspirant/student or employer who doesn’t consider it tier-1, except for some sour grapes folks who couldn’t crack AILET (an objectively better run exam than CLAT).
Okay. In which field other than UPSC do NLUD students do any better though?
Delusional NLUDite spotted. NUJS has been better than NLUD for ever. You won’t find even a single law aspirant/student or employer who doesn’t consider it tier-1, except for some sour grapes folks who couldn’t crack CLAT (an objectively better run exam than AILET).
LOL, such low effort response. Couldn’t think of an actual argument so you just flip the words to sound trollish? You must definitely be from NUJS. You want to engage, then speak with some conviction. The other comment has already shown why NLUD is better, I don’t need to reiterate it. And CLAT has to have been the most controversial and poorly implemented all-India exam in decades. Only reason it wasn’t struck down for incompetence is because nobody really gave a shit about it.
While AILET is known to be riddled with corruption and has been designed only to fleece law aspirants. And NLUD has been proven to falsify data every year for NIRF, which makes them have zero credibility for all their claims.
ha ha, think about it, as I have demonstrated if I may just flip the names and come up with an equally persuasive argument (at least to a first time observer), then the original argument is either completely subjective or fallacious
Wow, talk about being self-congratulatory. Give yourself a pat on the back for being so smart. Not really. What you made wasn’t an argument that was persuasive. You could’ve put any college’s name on there, doesn’t make it true. And no, there’s no subjectivity about NLUD being better than NUJS as an institution, at present. Just ask the CLAT rankers who almost always drop NUJS for NLUD nowadays. But you believe whatever helps you sleep better at night.
ok, finally we have an item that can be objectively parsed, can you give me data on how many CLAT rankers who could have got into NUJS (lets say upto rank 250, https://www.shiksha.com/university/nlu-kolkata-nujs-the-west-bengal-national-university-of-juridical-sciences-24886/cutoff) chose to shift to NLUD instead, in the last three years? if the number per year is not more than 10 (a very low bar for you to cross) then your argument fails. So, all I ask is for you to find out 10 NLUD students who had clat rank of 1-250 per year. Please dont moan that you dont have the data, you can do a basic sampling at your uni (given the ferocity of your response I assume that you are still in the campus) and let us know what you find.
Of course, because CLAT takers are so good at knowing everything about law schools before joining those.
KCL is officially as of now B-Tier. Two of my frnds applied for the college and they both got in . They only stated that it’s B-Tier currently .
Nah, sorry, NLUD is way better. The only reason NUJS even comes close to the tier-1 NLU category is because of its alumni legacy and student achievements alone. In its present avatar, the place hardly attracts any good faculty, barely has any worthwhile research output, consists of poor non-modern infrastructure, rampant state interference in its administration (read domicile quota) and there’s hardly a vision by the state or the admin for improving the university in the short or long-term. If we really had to classify it on facts NUJS is more like a tier-2/3 state university now. I’d say even NLUJ or GNLU could be preferred over it without much lost. It only has an appeal because it’s one of the older NLUs with an established alumni base.
Actually, you will find that the research publications by NUJS faculty in peer-reviewed and indexed journals easily match if not exceeds that by NLUD faculty in the last two years at least. As for faculty, NLUD has also witnessed faculty exodus in the recent past, with most of the good ones like Mrinal, Aparna, Arul and Chinmayi having left. At present, the faculty of the two places are comparable. Only NLSIU is ahead in terms of attracting faculty among the NLUs now. In terms of funding and infra, NLUD is ahead though. Bajpai can also attract good faculty back if given the chance, like RS used to. Location-wise, NLUD also has got an advantage.
As far as journal publications go, maybe NLUD's output has decreased in recent years since some good faculty left, but with that metric alone JGLS should be the number one research university in India. But the social or pedagogical relevancy/impact of its publications/research is questionable. However, NLUD's research centres like P-39A and CCG have actually engaged in more holistic public-oriented research work as well. NUJS hardly has any centres of the same calibre.

Some good faculty have left NLUD for varying personal reasons and not because of issues within the University (unlike what happened during the NUJS exodus post-MP Singh). In any case, they stayed for a long time to help build the institution and other faculty have been recruited to fill the vacancies. The faculty at NUJS is still not as good as NLUD though, NLUD still has the likes of Anup, YP, Sophy, etc., who are pretty good professors, apart from some older folks like AK Rai. I'd still say its only second to NLS and better than NALSAR at the moment.
You are not in a position to say that because you don't really know the faculty from other NLUs. Of the people you named, Anoop does some stellar work with P39A, but teaching-wise, there are comparable people at NUJS too like Anoop, YP, Sophie etc.
Alright, so who are the people at NUJS that compare? I'm actually interested, not simply trolling, and that kind of information would actually help future aspirants also make more informed decisions than simply saying that the faculty at both places are the same quality.
Responded to this with names down below. For some reason, it is showing as a response to the original post.
Actually, Jindal's per faculty SCOPUS publication annually is less than 1. Just like most NLUs. It is because they employ over 300 faculty that their absolute numbers look impressive. Typically and tastelessly, they even make it a point to add to the promotional flyer that it is more than all the NLUs, while conveniently leaving it out that so is their total number of faculty!
Agreed . NLU-D wins slightly (at least going by the current stats)
Which stats will that be? NIRF data that NLUD fudges regularly every year?
This is a meaningless question. It's like asking "who will win in a fight - a lion or a shark?".

Well, will the fight be in water or on land?

You cannot answer this question without knowing what the student's end goal is.
Bro, KCL and UCL ain’t tier 2. These law schools have a very strong TC rate. Edinburgh, Warwick, QMUL, Bristol, Durham, York and Newcastle do well too. Manchester also.

I would rather place Cardiff, SOAS, Sheffield and Liverpool in a tier 2 category, maybe Exeter too . But even here a good grade will get you far. The UK is a meritocracy, unlike India.
As someone who studied in the UK and now works at a city law firm, getting a first class undergrad from any of these schools will give you a very high chance of getting a TC if that’s your goal:

Oxbridge

Lse

Ucl

Kcl

Qm

Durham

Exeter

Warwick

Manchester

Getting a TC from an NLU is almost impossible unless you are exceptional, only because of this I would put these unis above the tier 1 NLUs
Adding on , do y’all also feel that quality of students differ significantly ? Or it’s just the age old comparison between Indian uni vs Foreign uni (like iit and Harvard) which doesn’t make sense at all ?
ah, TCs, the ultimate jobs. Tbh I really wish I could go back and do it all over again solely because I feel I am treated like a dog in the t-1 law firm that I work at. Even Kirkland lawyers log off at 11:11pm but me, my lala ji who is nowhere to be found in the top 100 law firms of the world ka wikipedia page, i work till 2 on an average - on top of that no marathons champages, bring your dogs at work initiative - cos im a dog at work myself
Oh im sorry, is your silver spoon too heavy for you feather hands?
Anirban Mazumder, Sandeepa Bhat, Lovely Dasgupta, Atul Alexander, all are good teachers with decent publication records. Even new ones like Somabha Bandopadhyay are good.
A 12-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.