Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
This quota is a total scam and eating up merit seats. This quota was created before JGLS existed. Now that there is JGLS, let the rich go there instead of eating up NLU seats. They will anyway succeed because of their contacts/money and do quite well as JGLS, which can offer them opportunities like studying abroad on exchange/dual degrees.
Nalsar has a foreign national quota and not an NRI sponsored quota. In NUJS and GNLU you can basically lie about an NRI sponsoring you and pay 5x the normal fee and get in. For Nalsar / NLS you need to be an OCI card holder, or have a parent holding a foreign passport. It isn’t a get into college free card like the rest.
NLS does not have an NRI/foreign quota. For NALSAR, I recently met a student who had got into through NRI/foreign quota and lives in Bengaluru. Not sure how it works but most of the people who had got in through the quota lives in India
Yeah living abroad isn’t the criteria, it’s being an OCI holder or having a parent with a foreign passport. Most students who avail this quota obviously live in india and just have parents who may be a foreign passport holder.
Nalsar has a OCI holder status quota - it doesn't mandate living outside but either mother or father has to have a foreign passport in the family. Most students are from SAARC countries like Nepal and Bangladesh here.
nri seats are separate category all together..having it or not having it doesn't change the total number of seat:]

moreover it works as a great way to bring investment in the state
We need to scrap ALL quotas: SC, ST, OBC, NRI, EWS and domicile. We need pure meritocracy at our universities. If anyone is financially weak that person can be given a scholarship. Other than that there should not be any special privileges for anyone.
cannot scrap ST, since the centre uses their natural resources, taxes, etc, for the other states while bringing no development there, there is no road connectivity forget about railways there. And also it is always ignored, and given a pittance in the devolution of taxes.
I've downvoted your hateposts despite belonging to a so called upper caste. Happy now?
Why is this marked as trollish mod? Well, the uc uc bias on li is apparent anyway.
bro what, why this even posted, why is legallyindia promoting casteism - marking this trollish isn't enough
Let's start with getting all students enrolled in government schools only from birth and without any kind of private tuitions. We will see 'meritocracy' then.
They should first scrap the shady reservation quota for sc/st/obc. These kids rank far lower than the NRIs and have far less merit. Unfortunately they can't.

Save your breath if you're going to give gyan on "merit" and other stuff - I've heard every argument under the sun in favour of and in opposition to affirmative action; I don't believe it's justified -- you are welcome to believe otherwise.
Sorry, but you cannot scrap the NRI quota yet retain caste quotas. I know several people from the NRI quota at NUJS (early batches) and all of them scored more than caste quota students in the entrance. Many are doing extremely well in their careers and are actually celebrated as success stories by current NUJS alumni. They include people who have obtained LLMs from top law schools abroad and a partners in International firms. No doubt their schooling and strong English helped them, but so what? On the other hand, most caste quota students who I know (from the early batches) are not doing so well. Many of them also failed to crack govt exams despite reservation. If. NUJS scraps the NRI quota it will lose some very good students who will make the college proud, trust me.
Your NLUs need money, NRI seats bring in extra crores to fund your education. Though, my friends who opted for these NRI seats regret not coming to JGLS and are miserable there.
Even GLC's NRI quota is very shady. Almost all of them are Punjabis who made fake certificates.
NRI quota students typically have higher CLAT scores than SC/ST/OBC students, so it is the latter that needs to be scrapped. SC/ST/OBC students are actually eligible now under EWS quota too, so what's the point of an SC/ST/OBC quota?
The point is probably representation. If there was no reservation, not a single person from SC/ST community would have made it to my batch and only about 10-12 OBC people would have got in. 12/180 is around 7%. I honestly don't wanna study in a University where 93% of the seats are captured by people from just 30% of the population.

I believe all Universities in India should make caste sensitization and an NGO internship mandatory otherwise people growing up in Tier 1 cities will never understand the ground realities and will only point towards that 1% of SC/ST candidates whose father is an IAS officer
You're justifying illegal admissions by complaining about legal admissions that you believe are unfair? Also, it's not true that NRI quota students score well. Like I said, they aren't NRIs, just RIs who made fake certificates. If they would've scored well, they would've never needed fake certificates.
Let's compare the final GPAs of NRI-quota students and SC/ST/OBC quota students after graduated. Whichever quota does well needs to be retained and the one which does badly needs to be scrapped. Speaking purely about my NLU, I can assure you that NRI-quota students outperform SC/ST/OBC quota students almost all the time. Curious to know if that is the case overall.
I did not know that law students did not understand basic economics. It is because of the NRI quota that the fees for the rest are lower (not exorbitant). Their fees are used to subsidize the cost for the rest, just as business class passengers "subsidize" economy passengers. NRI quota seats should be increased. When state NLUs have to contend with unpredictable state governments who have abdicated the responsibility of funding the state NLUs, the administration has to look for sources of revenue. That's why people avoid state universities.
I agree. In fact, NRI quota students should be given special privileges by the administration, should be treated with utmost respect by the rest of the students, and have a preference in every activity. If students can be fixated on placements and ROI (from their education), why shouldn't university administrations do the same? NRI quota students mean better ROI.
you can get one of the 2 things, 1 -either have a batch just based on merit so there's complete equality hence remove all quotas, or have all the quotas and the nri . lol all you down voter's remember one thing, nri people are much smarter than other reservation kids, these people prolly made few silly mistakes and got a rank below 2000. on the other hand sc and st has people with ranks of 40000.I agree that they need support due to their background, if that's valid nri seats are valid too. stop whining about it.
Your comment is prime example of the fact that not all Gen cats are intelligent.
your understanding of equality is not even basic. either you are yet to learn consti, or the whole course was lost on you.
what equality? i know a person with an OBC NCL certificate but is living a lavish life, why does he need reservation? the reservation must be on economical terms not just on caste.if equality is your prime concern and my definition of it is concerning to you go and try to change the law system where women are easily given preference and where women can easily file a false rape case and the man suffers and the women gets maintanence from the man even when she's earning enough. you can't change any of this so you better shut up and stop talking shit.
I know hundreds of UC people who are in every institution in the country solely because of the family that they had been born into, despite being dumber than many of the reserved category students whom I know and who didn't get the same opportunities. In fact, for every one such person whom you referred to, there are 50 others whom I've referred to. So you don't really have a good argument going there. Only non meritorious UC people have a problem with reservation.
looks like you are hell bent on proving that your understanding of equality and the logic of reservations is not even elementary. We have reservations to address discrimination on the grounds of identity (and not because they are poor). Reservations are not a measure for poverty alleviation or to provide opportunities for the poor. It's something that we have to address social discrimination that we practice in India, to a person who has a particular identity. Women being given preference follows the same logic. To add, it's only a form of whataboutery to say that one who speaks of a particular issue must be addressing all the other issues too.
are you dumb? I'm saying it should be based on economic bases. you keep crying about it but nri people will always be smarter than the people who get in throught reservations with ranks of 30,000.
A 82-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.