Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
The NLSIU website clearly mentions that the University does not have an NRI quota but I know for a fact that they take a couple of foreign students each year at higher fees. How does one apply to them seeking admission through this category, considering the foreign passport requirement is met? Will CLAT rank play a role?
Isn't the unspoken secret at some NLUs that the foreign seat quotas are jugaad quotas? (don't have any evidence for this, it's just an unconfirmed rumour)
NRI quotas are different from foreign national seats. You apply for foreign national seats through the website whenever a notification comes out, criteria is highest marks in 12th (/10th for tie-breakers)
NLSIU does not have a single foreign national/NRI/OCI student in the last three incoming batches
What if the person knows and you just are asking what if to create doubt when there isn't any?
Foreign student seats and NRI seats are different. NRIs still have to appear through CLAT and based on such rank, they are shortlisted. For foreign students, CLAT is not necessary. The NLUs are free to come up with any objective criterion for selection. Usually, plus two level marks are used on an equivalence basis to shortlist applicants.
Foreign national is not the same as NRI.

NRIs have Indian passports. Foreign nationals have foreign passports.

NLS does not have an NRI Quota/Management Seats.

Foreign seat is not a jugaad quota.

There are some issues with the place, this isn't one of them.
We don't have a single foreign student or someone whose name wasn't there on the merit list in our batch
You don't. The practice has been curbed now from what I hear. Do enquire about your senior batches, you will find specimen.
Law School never had NRI/OCI quotas, unlike some other NLUs. It had 5 reserved seats for foreign nationals, who used to come from developing countries/SAARC nations (Mongolia, Senegal, Nepal, Bhutan etc). However, post 2014, a lot of foreigners of Indian origin (who were schooled in India) started applying and taking up those seats, which was in line with the rules, but against the spirit of that quota. Glad to hear that Sudhir has put an end to this racket.

Even then, I have heard that the NRI-quota/NRI-sponsored quota in places like NUJS were rampantly misused over the years.
Sudhir hasn't stopped anything, it's still part of the brochure. It is just that people aren't applying, lol!
If they aren't applying then you can't in the same breath call it a jugaad quota which is being misused.

Misused and unused are different in my books.