Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Hey, I actually resigned from my previous law firm (boutique firm)and things ended on a pretty sour note with the Partner, now as that was my first job, I shall be applying to other firms or organisations for the first time as a professional. I wanted to know as proof of my experience I currently have no experience letter or document (unlikely that the Partner would even provide the same), the only piece of evidence/proof is the Salary Account that I had with the firm tbh Lol and the Retainership Letter that I had received. Is this a necessary document that law firms require when they onboard someone through a Lateral hire?
Im sorry you had to go through this. None of the firms I worked with ever issued me experience letters. None of the ones i worked with ever asked me for one either.
If you dont mind, without taking the name of the firm, can you describe the firm? Is it headed by one person at the top?

I can think of two such firms in Bombay, one old guy and one young guy. Both, have very high attrition rates, and both think very highly of themselves.
Just use your bank statement to show the credits. That should be fine. Trust me.
A similar thing happened to me. Things ended on a sour note at my previous law firm. While I have an experience letter, my apprehension is that any organisation interviewing me will call up my former organisation and ask them about me, in that case, it is highly likely that my previous organisation will give a bad report about me (they are known to do this to several others and ruin their careers). How do I get past this, as I regularly make it to the interview stage, but I get rejected inspite of answering the technical questions correctly. Anyone with constructive suggestions please ? Also, would appreciate someone letting me know about the background verification process, do firms do it with the candidate's consent after making an offer, or do they do it after an interview without the candidate's consent and knowledge ?
Bump this is a genuine query for any seniors that can help, regarding Background verification that law firms do of candidates before hiring.
if your cv has been picked out of many and without a reference, more often than not, the recruiting partner will call the previous firm. But you say you get to the interview stage often so next time just give a straight forward reason for leaving the last firm. Everyone knows there are enough toxic personalities in this profession and leaving on bad terms is not something that unheard of.
You mean the recruiting partner calls the previous firm before a candidate's interview is taken ?
Someone veteran here.

Okay to not get experience letters. Law firms don't go by that.

Last 3 months salary statement is enough.

At your interview round for next office, don't put the blame on the partners. Admit things went wrong for you because you were young and dumb, and that you are going to put more effort into workplace integration and learn tactfulness.