Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Could you also highlight if one should also learn Securities Law if one lives in Mumbai in order to get into a DR? Also the scope of securities litigation.

Thank you.
To some extent it will depend on what kind of disputes work you want to do/your team does. Disputes teams in India do everything from civil/commercial litigation, domestic arbitration, arbitration-related litigation (including setting-aside proceedings and enforcement) and international commercial arbitration. Not all teams do ICA, either they don't have the requisite expertise or can't get the clients, but yes, it is a field that is fast growing in India.

In general, it's a good idea to cover all basics. But just to give you a starting point:
1. A&C Act (obviously): Be familiar with the bare act, fundamental concepts and jurisprudence, recent developments (ex: Vidya Drolia, vvv important). The greater command you can develop over this, the better.

2. CPC: A vast and complicated subject. There are two parts to it: substantive principles (res judicata etc) and procedural rules. Make sure you have a working idea of the principles, don't necessarily need to go into too much detail. The rules, I honestly can't tell you what to focus on. I've been told it only comes with practise. Hopefully someone else can pitch in here. IMO, try to study the lifecycle of an arbitration and see at what points can it lead to litigation (suit for submitting a dispute to arbitration, dispute over existence of arb agreement, appointment of arbitrator, challenge to an appointed arbitrator, application for setting aside etc), then study the procedures related to that.

3. ICA: basic concepts, schools of thought, international instruments, application in India. (if relevant).

Beyond that, it's still a good idea to study all commercial laws well, because they'll form the subject matter of the dispute. Contracts always comes in handy, TPA, Corp and IBC (if your team handles NCLT/NCALT appearances) etc. Heard of a disputes team doing an IP matter once, but I don't think that's v common.

Good luck!
I've professionally interacted with most of the T1 dispute resolution teams. I can't say what would get you in a team, but I could say what stops these folks from venturing out (exit) on their own even if they desperately want to: They are extremely weak in procedural aspects of the law. The first five years or so is spent being a research jockey and bundle bunny. From one senior to another, from one list of dates to another, from one index to another, they hop and feel busy. The general DR teams are bad. The WCC teams are truly ignorant of CrPC.
Note: This doesn't apply to Arbitration work. They are truly good in arbitration. However, they don't do execution work. This also doesn't apply to electricity disputes.
CPC, CrPC, Evidence Act, Arbitration and Conciliation Act, Specific Relief Act, Contracts Act.
What subjects should I focus on reading, and to what depth, to be able to be recruitable for a tier 1 disputes team?

I am clear with what extracurriculars I need to engage in. Just need some advice on academics.

Genuine advice would be much appreciated.