Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Context:
I'm a first year at Jindal. It's been my dream to come to Jindal for quite a while, and rightfully so for a variety of reasons. I've been aware of the pros and cons of jgls for quite a while now, and made the conscious choice of coming here after a lot of thinking.

Jgls has turned out to be everything I hoped for and a lot more. I'm beyond satisfied with my decision and have been having the time of my life here, academically, intellectually and otherwise.

However, lately, I've been having some very vague skepticism about this decision. I'm unsure as to where this skepticism arises from or even why I'm having it, but it exists nevertheless. If only I could take a time machine and meet myself from a while back and ask him why he was so sure about going to jgls over any other law school in the country. Unfortunately can't do that, so I'm being forced to ask strangers on LI.

So, are there any good reasons for why I should leave jgls for nlsiu or nalsar(Assuming I give clat this year and get into them). Note that I'm not considering any other law schools because I'm sure I would be discontented with them after experiencing the standards for education here.

Note that I am well informed of criticisms that dominate popular discourse about JGU, avoid stating them ad nauseam here.

For reference, what I expect from a "good" law school, are opportunities for advancement, great faculty, decent and more importantly diverse(in thought) peer group, good infrastructure, a thriving intellectual environment (no matter how small) and basically everything that allows me to be myself and advance endlessly.

The only reasons I can think of for leaving jgls are placements, which I'm not concerned with as I'm fairly sure I want to do academia or something more research based and intellectual at this point. I'm also sure I don't want to do Corp Law. Regardless, while placements here might not be "at par" with the top three nlus, they are still very good. The other reason might be peer group, but I would want a diverse peer group any day over the level of homogeneity that's present in the NLUs. Note that when I talk of diversity here, I mean diversity of thought and not of background. With regards to the latter, it's fairly evident that jgls has none.

So, any general advice about this?
Doesnโ€™t diversity of background affect diversity of thought?

Iโ€™d try out for nls or nalsar. For sure. Burst some of that bubble. When I was in law school I had classmates who had bus drivers for fathers- they knew what the value of an education was. Itโ€™s also good to be around other students who are extremely competitive about their achievements.

Also- research and academia is a fairly competitive space. Itโ€™s hard to get these jobs- harder even than Corp jobs because you need to only be in the top 20-30% of your batch to get that where as research and academia can be far more selective when done right.
Reason one: Nobody from NLSIU or NALSAR in their first year even dreams of shifting to JGLS. Well, maybe the occasional nightmare.
Why not? If you think you can opt for nlsiu or nalsar then sure - but please note that if you are content , just stick to ur own university. That being said NLS or nalsar is worth dropping for especially from nujs
Please give CLAT first. Once, you get a top 200 rank or something and get NALSAR or NLS, you can then think about all of these aspects (which are just fantasies for now).
Exactly lmao , someone said it finally. They all behave as itโ€™s so easy
A 51-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.