Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
Punished: An alum from NLSIU. Got suspended for a year. Was a partner of a top firm, now independent.

Let off: A a nepo kid alum from NLSIU, who is the son of someone who at the time was a very powerful official close to Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi.
Many. Ragging, bullying was rampant in GNLU back in the day-if you weren't from Rajasthan or the Hindi belt. All of these people now occupy high positions of power. Nothing happens to bullies. They just live on and torment weak people. It's the way of the world.
Suprisingly the same was the case in NALSAR also. The seniors from [...] were really mean and would rag especially if you were southern parts of India.

However, the folks were a lot nicer.
Ye power power kya laga rakha hai... Law firm ke retainers ke paas ghanta koi power nhi hoti...kon puchta hai in logo ko..faltu me sar par chada ke rakha hai
There was a lot of ragging at NLSIU in the 90s and 2000s, by Gen X and Gen Y respectively. The later NLUs, set up in the early 2000s unfortunately picked up the disease. However, these days, there is much less ragging because ragging has been criminalised and people belonging to Gen Z are more socially sensitive. For all the negativity surrounding Gen Z, this is undeniably one good thing that has happened.

As for famous/infamous raggers, here are some examples I know of:

From NLSIU:

1) When MoGo was VC, a student was very badly ragged outside campus. He was forcibly made to drink and stripped against his will. Two students were suspended, while another student was let off (his dad was a bigshot with connections right up to the PM's office). The two suspended students are today doing very well.

2) For a long time, it was a "tradition" for juniors to be asked to polish shoes and serve bed tea to seniors. It has now stopped. The majority of early NLSIU alumni are guilty of this practice.

From NALSAR:

1) A student from the 2001 (year of entry) batch had to leave NALSAR because he was ragged very badly by seniors. The "ringleaders" are today well-established.

2) It was a "tradition" at NALSAR to pour ice-cold water on juniors in the middle of the night, while they were sleeping. One wise guy (after being tipped off) left his room and stuffed his bed with pillows and covered it with a blanket. The seniors poured water on the blanket and then realised they they had been outsmarted. They then tracked down the junior and physically beat him up.

From NUJS:

1) A very notorious student (son of a top lawyer) got away with a lot of shit. Looked and dressed like a caveman while in college, now very well groomed and well dressed.

2) The NUJS "tradition" was/is for seniors to slap and kick the asses of juniors on their birthdays.
There was 'little' to NO ragging at NLSIU during the 90's... don't recollect any that would qualify as "a lot of ragging". NRM was quite strict on these things and don't recollect any student even receiving a warning on ragging.

Responding to "From NLSIU: 2)"
Was not around when MoGo was the VC, so not commenting on that... Was part of the first few batches, but not aware of the incidents mentioned in item 2.
No. Son of a top lawyer and not the person you are thinking of.
I would say roughly 50% of corp law firm partners were toxic, sadistic bros in college: ragging juniors, branding people as "gay" and bullying them, rating junior girls and gaslighting them through exploitative "affairs" etc.

Is it any wonder corp law firms are such toxic workplaces?

In fact, GLC alumni are actually more decent because they never went to campus and thus never ragged!
NUJS oldie here. The girls of our class made a [...] professor cry in class by heckling him with difficult questions on his first day 🙋‍♀️ . The girls then challenged the boys to see if they could outdo them. The boys didn't have the brains to come up with a cerebral prank like asking questions. So they simply threw a metal bed from the top floor of the boy's hostel in the the middle of the night, so that it lands right outside the dude's room on the ground floor of the boy's hostel 😎 . It was like those prank challenges you see these days on Youtube, but the difference is that it was real and not staged.

In hindsight, I'm not sure if we should be remembered as heroes or condemned for being bullies. History will judge us...
I know the name of the influential student at NLSIU who got away with ragging while his batchmates were suspended. As has been rightly said, his father is an influential bureaucrat (now long retired) with top political connections. But although he is associated with the Congress he also has connections with the BJP. During MoGo's time the PM was Vajpayee, not Manmohan. So it's pure speculation that the Congress had anything to do with his son getting off. If blame must be cast it should be on MoGo for such blatant favouritism.

Incidentally, my relative went to college with this bigshot bureaucrat. He said that he had a notorious reputation for ragging people, but in those days it was completely acceptable to do so. You guys may also read an essay by Amitava Ghosh called The Lessons of Rudra Court. In it, he says that used to sleep on the pavement inside drainpipes rather than the hostel at St Stephen's, to avoid ragging.

https://stopragging.wordpress.com/2005/02/17/the-lessons-of-rudra-court-1973/

You will never see this dark history of NLSIU or Stephen's discussed in the media, for obvious reasons.
Off topic for some feel good kicks. Before I went to one of the NLUs in early 2000s, I did spend a year (lets say against my will) at a med school. Ragging is at another level there. BUT the twist was that the med school happened to be in a place where my extended family held quite a good hold, ummm political, I can admit. Unaware, seniors attempted to rag though I had somehow flown under the radar but not for so long before they had me one afternoon. I told them they should not try this but they did not hear. Next thing - they were paraded outside the hostel and property done up by finest of goons in the town. One of them came to me a few days later and did say, pahle kyun nahi bataya!

Back to law school, I just managed to fly under the radar in the first semester and most imp. not become part of region or interest based alliance owing allegiance to one set of seniors (who would then protect from ragging from another group, apparently). Quite non-sensical, that all seems now.
A guy from nluj(son of an ias offr) got an year for no fault of his for indulging in passive ragging. Surprisingly, he was just standing in the corner of a room when the perpetrators ragged the junior. Poor guy!!
The story of the nepo kid at NLSIU who got away with physical/sexual ragging many years ago is today a forgotten footnote in history. But here's the most ironic thing of all: the dude later went for an LLM abroad cosplaying as a defender of human rights (before swiftly turning to a career in commercial law). As the more recent incident involving Lawrence Liang also showed, metropolitan elites claiming to do human rights work and flaunting fancy foreign degrees should often be taken with a pinch of salt. The real human rights defenders are the unknown, unrecognised heroes fighting in trial courts and labour courts in small towns and villages. The ones who went to vernacular medium school and unknown colleges, who travel to work by scooter. Let's celebrate them instead of fawning over NLSIU-ites all the time.
Ragging or hazing (abroad) is never usually punished as it should be, its justified for some other reason, the victims usually feel they can suck up to their seniors like this, others never report for various reasons, no admin takes it seriously, just laugh it off for "reputation of a top NLU" or whatever

kinda like rape or domestic abuse in the outside world
NALSAR was really bad in the early 2000s. Some of it could be arguably be classified as a type of sexual assault.
Is LI protecting GNLU in some manner? The early parts of GNLU were filled with savage violence, with a pliant administration looking on. All of these folks run establishments, are top partners and are big corporate honchos. Why is nothing being put forth on any of this?
A 4-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 26-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.